Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Pinehurst
I seem to be going through a difficult period -- swallowing. it has been very bad the last week or so. it seems to get worse as I start to 'panic' (like right now). A few glasses of white wine seems to take some of the edge off (ok, not much really), but if I can't swallow staring at the wine bottle doesn't help at all.

I am going to make an appt with our PCP, but I would like info from anyone here about what might work.

Thank you,

Max

That sucks Max! Do you have a PEG tube? Are you choking on what you swallow, or you just can't swallow at all? If it is that you are choking on liquids then you can use thickeners in them. If you just can't swallow, I am not sure, maybe ask your wife to massage your adams apple. Thankfully we don't have this problem with Tim so far.

Paulette

Are you on any antidepressants? Something like Lexapro has anti anxiety properties. Xanax and Valium are good too but might make you sleepy.

Hi, Paulette -

>That sucks Max!

yup :-(

>Do you have a PEG

nope, won't either ...

>Are you choking on what you swallow, or you just can't swallow at all?

Just having trouble swallowing -- fear of choking, but not yet.

>If it is that you are choking on liquids then you can use thickeners in them

I am still able to do the smoothies, with care and concentration -- 10 swallows at a time. But then I am on gag/panic alert for the next hour or so.

>Thankfully we don't have this problem with Tim so far

good and we all hope it stays that way :)

>Are you on any antidepressants? Something like Lexapro has anti anxiety properties. Xanax and Valium are good too but might make you sleepy.

no SSRI (I call 'em suicide pills). Valium seems possible, thanks -- some call it powdered alcohol, which sounds fine to me. Sleepy is also ok, as I would only risk drugs at night.

they just made me do a sleep study which I passed, so I don't think breathing is a problem yet.

Thanks for the feedback!

>Are you on any antidepressants?

also, I am not depressed. Irascible, but not depressed. seems like someone with ALS would/should be depressed. :)

I have a mixture of xanax and zoloft that helps me cope. God Bless

My mom takes 10 mg amiitriptyline nightly - seems to both help with excess saliva and calm her. If she gets a bit panicky I give her .5 mg of lorazepam (Ativan) as needed. She only needs that about once every week or so. I dissolve these and put them thru her peg. They r both tiny - so I'm sure u could take them with applesauce or a smoothie. We also use thikit for her juice and water. Sorry this is happening to u and I hope u can find something that works. Good luck.
Trina

My mom takes 10 mg amiitriptyline nightly - seems to both help with excess saliva and calm her. If she gets a bit panicky I give her .5 mg of lorazepam (Ativan) as needed. She only needs that about once every week or so. I dissolve these and put them thru her peg. They r both tiny - so I'm sure u could take them with applesauce or a smoothie. We also use thikit for her juice and water. Sorry this is happening to u and I hope u can find something that works. Good luck.
Trina

Sorry posted twice - don't know what the heck happened 😁

Max,
I hear you loud and clear. What you are describing sounds similar to how I was feeling, panic-wise.
I told my PCP no way I was taking an antidepressant.
He talked me into a low dose of something or other, I didn't care for it. I tried a different one, and I've been on 1/2 a paroxetine, so 10mg at night for about a year. Only had a couple of freakshow episodes since.
I feel great and my quality of life is better.
Everyone is different, would be nice if you could take the edge off a little.
Cheers,
Casey

Sounds like me a few years back. "What, me depressed? Of course not. I may be grouchy and hypersensitive and having panic attacks, but I am fine!"

Forget about the Xanax and Valium. They are too little, too late when a panic attack starts. They can end it sooner but the psychological damage has already been done. You know how bad a panic attack feels and you are afraid of the next one and that only contributes to the next one.

Mine were about breathing, not swallowing, and when I got to point where just knowing I was going to be alone for a few minutes set one off, I asked the doctor for something for panic attacks. We tried Valium and as I said, too little too late. I wanted prevention, not a psychological nitro tablet to carry around all the time and stop an attack only after my heart was pounding and I was struggling to keep calm and breathe. Wellbutrin was next. Had me hyped and edgy all of the time. Then it was Zoloft. Freaking’ magic!]]]] No more panic attacks, no more grouchiness, no more hypersensitivity to everything someone said. A Zombie, feeling nothing? Absolutely not. I was back to the normal person I had been, able to think without emotion taking over rational thought, reengaged in living. And guess what? Only one side effect: That depression I didn't believe I had was gone too.

Suicide pills? Maybe for some. The deeply depressed are too deep in helplessness to take action. It is only as the depression lifts a little that they are at risk and most go through that stage quickly and safely. For me any thoughts of suicide were ended by the SSRI, not triggered by it.

>I have a mixture of xanax and zoloft that helps me cope. God Bless

Thanks, Janey -- I will do some further research. It seems clearer and clearer that different folks react differently to these drugs :(

> Sorry this is happening to u and I hope u can find something that works. Good luck.

Morning, Trina -- thank you. Sometimes I fear that I sound like a whiner ("oh poor me"). hmmm .... maybe I am at that! :)

> I've been on 1/2 a paroxetine, so 10mg at night for about a year. Only had a couple of freakshow episodes since. I feel great and my quality of life is better. Everyone is different, would be nice if you could take the edge off a little.

Thanks, Casey -- I had never heard of paroxetine before. I will read upon it today and put it on the list to discuss with Dr. Parker.

Morning, Diane --

>Sounds like me a few years back. "What, me depressed? Of course not. I may be grouchy and hypersensitive and having panic attacks, but I am fine!"

:)

I really don't think I am depressed, although the swallowing is scary and I do obsess a bit about what is going to happen next. I don't know if there is a 'normal' for PALS ...

>Forget about the Xanax and Valium ... Mine were about breathing, not swallowing, and when I got to point where just knowing I was going to be alone for a few minutes set one off, I asked the doctor for something for panic attacks. We tried Valium and as I said, too little too late. I wanted prevention, not a psychological nitro tablet

psychological nitro ... perfect description!

>Then it was Zoloft ... No more panic attacks, no more grouchiness, no more hypersensitivity to everything someone said ... I was back to the normal person I had been, able to think without emotion taking over rational thought, reengaged in living. And guess what? Only one side effect: That depression I didn't believe I had was gone too.

:)

I am glad for you. Obviously you worked at finding what worked for you.

>Suicide pills? Maybe for some. ... For me any thoughts of suicide were ended by the SSRI, not triggered by it.

The warnings are what worry me ... it seems like most of the SSRIs come with something like:
----- snip
Antidepressant medicines may increase suicidal thoughts or actions in some children, teenagers, and young adults especially within the first few months of treatment. Depression and certain other serious mental illnesses are important causes of suicidal thoughts and actions. Patients of all ages who are started on antidepressant therapy should be monitored appropriately and observed closely for clinical worsening, suicidality, or unusual changes in behavior.
----- end snip

Thank you, again, for your thoughtful and thought provoking feedback. Seems like there is no simple answer to this issue. I am not sure I am up for trial-and-error right now, but it has been/is another tough night and maybe after some sleep it will be better ...

Max

Max, while your waiting to see your doc, there are some herbal teas available that might help. One is called tension tamer made by celestial seasonings. These are available at most grocery stores in the tea section. Thinking it might help relax the throat muscles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back