Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Good news is that I'm not physically hurt. No injuries at all.

I was on the porch when a gust of wind hit me in the back. It literally pushed me over. I landed on a side table. I was stretched out with my arm pinned under me and couldn't get up or down. Called my wife to help, but she couldn't get me on my feet. She's got MS and her strength isn't as good as it used to be.

Paramedics came and got me on my feet and back in the house.

Pride: hurt
Frustration: through the roof
Tears: flowed

Thankfuly my kids slept through it all. I really didn't want them scared. My oldest will be back today (he can pick me up).

Progression sucks

I forgot to add that EMS was fantastic. They got me up and were completly understanding and kept quiet so they wouldn't wake my kids :)

>Progression sucks

ditto that!

Glad you are up and about.

So sorry about your fall and glad you were not injured. I've had to call EMS on several occasions. The last time my Pals fell out of the hoyer lift. Sent fireman and ambulance. I could not have asked for more compassionate and caring men. I called the fire chief to let him know how wonderful they were.

Debbie

Oh I'm so glad you are ok. My worst fall ended up taking me to the ER in an ambulance. My head bounced on the floor like a basketball (according to my daughter) and there was a loud pop. Nothing broken and no concussion luckily. Big bruises, though.

Rest a lot and drink lots of water.

Do you know about Gait belts? They can help very you very much if you fall. I would check the you local MDA or ALS association I am pretty sure that they would give you one of these.

Rick

Never heard of a gait belt. I'll look into it

>Never heard of a gait belt.

These either

>I'll look into it

Me too

A gait belt only works if someone is there beside you to grab it to hold you upright. Maybe it is time for a Rolater (walker) but of course that doesn't work well if you can't hold on. Tim use to motor around in his manual wheelchair when he started getting unstable. If your legs still work, take the foot rests off and use your feet to propel yourself. My husband wanted tennis ball launchers attached to his so he could shoot at people, but I never could figure out how to do that.

Paulette

I walk, but unsteadily. Very little hand arm strength. Looking into a scooter now, maybe a PWC.

My progression includes bibrachial symptoms. Only about 10% of patients present this way. At least that's what Dr. Glass at Emory told me.

This wouldn't have helped Afraidbutnotalone since he was hung up on a table and his wife isn't strong, but in other situations it works well. Place a simple kitchen chair next to someone unable to get up from the floor. The best chair is one with a flat back. A high back is ideal for someone with neck weakness. A chair with a spindle back is harder to slide onto. After checking for broken arms, legs, or shoulder, hip or neck pain, turn the person on his back. Lay the chair on its back along side of him. Lifting with your legs so you don't hurt your back, slide and lift him on to the chair so he is in a sitting position but on his back on the chair. A strong person can then lift the chair upright. If the fallen person is "floppy" you will need and extra person to keep him from falling off the chair.

>Place a simple kitchen chair next to someone unable to get up from the floor. The best chair is one with a flat back. A high back is ideal for someone with neck weakness. A chair with a spindle back is harder to slide onto. After checking for broken arms, legs, or shoulder, hip or neck pain, turn the person on his back. Lay the chair on its back along side of him. Lifting with your legs so you don't hurt your back, slide and lift him on to the chair so he is in a sitting position but on his back on the chair. A strong person can then lift the chair upright. If the fallen person is "floppy" you will need and extra person to keep him from falling off the chair.

Thank you Diane, I am going to passes onto my wife.

Max

My husband is over 200 lbs. so it was always a production to get him off the floor. Finally I contacted our ALS society and got a portable lift and sling, and it was so much better. But he also started using his wheelchair, so falling decreased dramatically. We still have it, and if we travel it folds up and comes with us.
Paulette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back