Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Beaumont
So, I guess we never thought this one through but my parents lost power for 6 hours today. I had no idea his hospital bed goes completely flat during a power outage. Dad can't lay flat or he can't breathe so we put him in a chair but that's only good for awhile so once he went back to his bed we propped him up as best we could. Luckily, my dad is just hooked up to the hospital bed and nothing else. We gave him Ensure to avoid any choking and having to use the suction machine.

I'm just curious - those that are on devices, what do you do for back up power?

I have a back up generator that once the main power breaker has been turned off can be plugged into the dryer outlet to power up most things in the house. Won't run my heating and air conditioning or the cook stove, everything else it does including my medical equipment. Price was about $800 plus the cord and cost of an electrician to wire it properly

Our ALS society is providing us with a generator. My husband's Sip & Puff battery lasts 6 hours, and he does have a battery for his bipap. His bed also requires electricity, but he could always stay in his chair if needs be. I just feel a whole lot better having the generator back up.

Notify your power company to be put on priority list. In my state it requires a letter from a doctor. You will be one of the first to have power restored. My pals electric bed also comes with a hand crank. I have a backup battery and marine battery for his vent and a battery suction machine. Oxygen tanks ready to use. I definitely need a generator.

Debbie

Some of the ALSA 's have some generators to loan. Check with them and if yours does you can give them a call when the power goes out and they'll bring it out and hook it up. Ours does anyway

I have a backup generator. It is important if you have a generator be sure to isolate you main service panel for you do not get feed back on to the grid.

Rick

We have gasoline generators which we will use in the case of long term outages (we are in a hurricane area). - I can't see my mother, whose very large, operate it while one of us is not there. I was curious about non generator types of power, like big battery ones - and which ones might be good.

The only other option I can think of would be one of those smaller solar panels with storage batteries. But I don't know very much about them

we have a whole house backup generator because of hurricanes. used it after Charlie and we lost power for 3 days. pre ALS, but good to have. ran everything except the AC. you can probably buy a small one just for his equipment though.

Our bed would not flatten w/ power loss. I would ask the vendor or mfr if the defaults can be modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back