08/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Pinehurst
VA Wheelchair & Van benefits question

First of all if this is in the wrong section, Moderator please move it and let me know.

I am a US Veteran, 100% disabled since the ALS diagnosis last year. I am (all too quickly) getting to where I need the PWC. Of course, that means a van, too.

I understand the VA offers $ benefits to help with the costs of these specific items. eBenefits.va.gov is, IMNSHM, not very useful.

Do any of you have experience in this regard? How much $'s if any? How much time? Do they hhave loaner PWCs if I can solve the van problem? Any & everthing else that might help?

I had an appointment last week and they say the KT will call (In'Shallah!) and that my loss of extremity has been signed off by their neuros.

Any guidance much appreciated!

Max

get info from local va service office....pm a helpful vet....their are some who resent vets help...

You need to contact The Paralyzed Veterans of America local office at the Houston VA, and they will advocate for you and let you know what you qualify for. But quickly I can tell you that the VA will supply you with a PWC, and your choice of one. Tim's got an amazing chair with an outdoor package, as we live in the mountains, love to do trails, and have tons of hills to do. The VA gives you $18,000 for the chassis and pay for all the costs of the modifications. We purchased a Toyota Sienna Extra Tall, and we traded in his Tundra to defray costs. In the end we have a van with every option available, and only had to pay $15,000. They will do the same mobility van thing every 2 years.
Paulette

Download form 21-4502 "Application for automobile or other conveyance and adaptive equipment.". Once that's approved you can get a grant for up to $19,817 toward a mini-van. That is a one time only grant. The VA will also cover the cost of the conversion required to make it a wheel chair van (10-1394). Take the approved form to a local mobility van shop and work out what you need to get. On a new van, say a Dodge Caravan you might pick a vehicle worth $55K, $30K for the chassis and $25K for the conversion. VA grants you $19,817 plus covers conversion of $25K. That means you have to cover roughly $12K plus tax, tags, and fees out of pocket. Depending on your budget, you might want to find a shop that deals with used vehicles with new conversions; a used vehicle purchased from someone like Enterprise rental, then converted. Going this route can minimize out of pocket investment. The conversion expense can be requested again after two years. The grant part requires loss or loss of use of a foot/feet or hand/hands. My VA has ordered me a PWC (PrideMobility Quantum Q6 Edge), but the Automobile grant is still under review. Therapist that ordered PWC offered to put a trailer hitch lift on my wife's car (I got rid of my truck sometime ago because it was a stick shift and I couldn't operate it anymore). Lift won't work on her Mini Cooper. We'll see how this works out.

BK

I found three dealers who knew exactly what to do and I chose the dealer who provided the best service to us. She delivered vans to our house for test drives, initiated and followed up on all the applications and paperwork, so we didn't have to do a thing except sign.

We got a brand new fully tricked out modified van for the cost of trading in our old $9000 Volkswagen. You get a new one every two years for the cost of trading in the old one.

Tampa VA issued us a Permobile PWC, so the van was fitted with an automatic Permobile seat lock system.

After your passing, your wife can sell the van for pure profit, right here on this forum. Or the dealer will buy it back from you.

Look at the bottom of this page:
http://www.automobilitysales.com/about-us/faqs/

I found three dealers who knew exactly what to do and I chose the dealer who provided the best service to us. She delivered vans to our house for test drives, initiated and followed up on all the applications and paperwork, so we didn't have to do a thing except sign.

We got a brand new fully tricked out modified van for the cost of trading in our old $9000 Volkswagen. You get a new one every two years for the cost of trading in the old one.

Tampa VA issued us a Permobile PWC, so the van was fitted with an automatic Permobile seat lock system.

After your passing, your wife can sell the van for pure profit, right here on this forum. Or the dealer will buy it back from you.

Look at the bottom of this page:
Question About Handicap Vans to Ask Your Salesperson

Thanks!

Max

You need to contact The Paralyzed Veterans of America local office at the Houston VA...
Paulette

Thanks! They are now in thr loop, Max :)

Atsugi- What triggers the 'every two years' - do you have to get the VA involved again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back