Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Pinehurst
Well, it seems that I am down to liquids for nutrition now. Sandy has been making me smoothies and adding Ensure to add some protein and liquefied veggies for fiber.

Any other ideas for supplements?

Sometimes this is a bit discouraging ...

Max

>Gin, whiskey, and beer?

as my Dad used to say "Gin makes you sin, Whiskey make you frisky" :)

and tequila makes your clothes fall off!

Seriously-- order some Benecal on line--300 calories in one ounce-- tasteless and mixes with a anything.

also my daughter bought a juicer and that could give you some nice nutrition--just about any veggie, add some protein powder, chia, Benecal, heavy cream yummy!

>Seriously-- order some Benecal on line--300 calories in one ounce-- tasteless and mixes with a anything.

>also my daughter bought a juicer and that could give you some nice nutrition--just about any veggie, add some protein powder, chia, Benecal, heavy cream yummy!

Thanks! I just passed this on to the boss :).

Good Morning All,
Max this is the smoothie I make every morning,
8 ounces whole milk
2 ounces Half and half or whip cream
2 scoops whey protein- 22 gram protein per serving
1 scoop- Weider weight gainer
1 scoop- creatine- 5 grams
2 tbsp. Organic cold pressed virgin coconut oil
1 tbsp. Liquid B Complex
1 tbsp. MCT
1 over ripe banana
half a cup of kale
half a cup of liberte yogurt
half cup of fruit eg. blueberries, pineapple, apple, etc.
5 brookeside chocolates

pureed homemade soup with high protein broth

1 ensure calories plus.

Barbie I am going to get some Benecal, thanks for the information.

Hugs
Linda

I was going for the grain side of the equation. Smoothies sound better :)

Hi, Linda --

>Max this is the smoothie I make every morning ...

thanks, I will pass this on to Sandy (minus the yogurt, yuck) :)

>pureed homemade soup with high protein broth

sounds good, too

>1 ensure calories plus.

I am getting 2-3 of those a day now. It has only been about 3 weeks since I had to give us ground up hash & eggs, but I worry about keeping up.

Thanks, again, for the input!

Max

Hi Barbie -
Could you please post a link for Benecal? I haven't had any luck finding it. Thanks!

Now Max yogurt is good for you and you will not even taste it in the smoothie. Can also through in some peanut butter or nutella for a change.

That would be THROW.
Milk shakes at night with an egg thrown in are great also! Need a good recipe for Egg-Nog.
Hugs
Linda

Hi, Linda --

>Can also throw in some peanut butter or Nutella for a change.

That's a great idea and should add protein as well as calories. I am still under 1,000 a day right now and think it should be 2,000+ to be healthy.

>Milk shakes at night with an egg thrown in are great also

I remember they used to offer that with an Orange Julius, but it sounds nasty :). I am becoming ready to try "almost" anything ... maybe even yogurt one day :).

Max

my opinion...Ensure is not an ideal drink...look up 1.5 Jevity...very little sugar...great vitamin and mineral content....consider recipe listed above...similar to what I have been doing since day one....DX weight 17lbs....present weight 171lbs...with ALS you need more calories...I try to get at least 2000 a day...maintaining weight helps extend life expectancy...please take it seriously...SUCCESS

Gerri--Benecalorie--I bought it online at Walgreens. not in the stores.

I am new and by no means an expert but have any of you heard of Liquid Hope? Google it! I am a pediatric nurse and a patient of mine who is tube fed is using this with good results as far as digestion,weight gain, reduces inflammation, etc. the mixed formula is rather pricey but could be made at home as it list ingredients on package. BT W my sister was diagnosed with ALS today, back up a sec, doctor thinks she has it as tests EMG results. No MRI as of yet!

This forum is full of info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back