Power wheel chair and accessible van - inevitable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eacz60

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Campbellville
Hello fellow PALS, I need some advice based on your experience. I am using a walker at home with great difficulty and never without a spotter. I use a manual wheelchair when I go out and get pushed as arms/hands too weak to self-propell. Getting in/out of SUV is an ordeal.

I am thinking if it makes sense to modify the SUV passenger seat which can rotate out and lower so transfer from wheelchair is easier versus buying an accessible vehicle with wheelchair access. Will I be able to always use a manual wheelchair or is a power or reclining wheelchair inevitable which would mean I would need a new vehicle?

transfers are exhaustive....will you always have someone capable of making the transfer as you become weaker. do you now propel your manual chair or does some one push you.... manual chair one position, do you want to sit in this position all day...my opinion ...PWC for sure and van.

We delayed... and delayed as I resisted and resisted. i used a cane for almost a year. Then a scooter for 6 months, then a walker ( hybrid) for 6 weeks, then a PWC since December 8/13. I could get into a vehicle, but getting out became a suicide mission. For me and for whoever was trying to help. There's no way I could even think of a manual chair... having only one operative arm would certainly have me going in circles.

Got my PWC via the Ontario CEP program and we bought a used van in November. Not sorry - so much easier. Energy saving. Easy for me and my family - I feel part of the world again! If you're looking at a PWC, I would urge you to get all the bells and whistles. PM me for info. if you need any.

In my opinion, the SUV is a short term solution.

I agree with Elaine, but I went a slightly different path.
We found a great van on kijiji, with the bruno turny seat you are talking about and a bruno lift in the back for PWC or whatever you are lifting.
To be honest, it was great. Transfer to the passenger seat, a nice little ride, and no problem. Reverse steps to get out.
BUT...
As it became more difficult to transfer from the chair, and especially with the winter we are having, safety is paramount.
We just found a rear entry accessible van on kijiji, that is much safer, no transfer needed. I have only had two rides in it, but, so far, this is the safest opinion by far.
I would suggest getting a referal to CEP as soon as you can.
...and if by chance you choose to go the turny seat route, I'll sell you my caravan.
If you need any help with anything, PM me, Im happy to help a fellow Ontario pals anytime.
Cheers,
Casey

>Got my PWC via the Ontario CEP program and we bought a used van in November

Elaine, which one did you get? Any specific accessories you recommend? I am just getting the process with the VA now, but I understand it takes time.

Thanks,

Max

Max,

I bought the Permobil M300 chair.

The van is a Ford Transit Connect. Rear entry. I do sit back there with the cargo. It's a bumpy ride, but better since I now wear a neck brace. ( got whiplash on our frozen roadways). I like the independence, but be warned, even with the van floor having been significantly lowered, it's hard to see out the windows from my throne. Thankfully, my limited perspective is suffice for me to provide colourful back seat driving instructions. When the driver becomes irritated, the defroster fan is usually cranked up and I get drowned out!

Casey and Elaine, what is the CEP program?

I will pm you!

CEP - Ontario Government "Centralized Equipment Pool "
This is where you will be referred by your dr for a power wheelchair.
You will need "tilt & recline" on your chair.
The cost is geared to income. The ALS society of Canada / Ontario will help aswell.
It's time for all the taxes you've paid to give back to you.
Not sure which clinic you are going to, but they will have people to help with the variety of headaches.

Take one thing at a time and it's not so overwhelming.
Cheers,
Casey

Casey,

I was told the CEP is not geared to income. It's available to all Ontario residents. Didn't have to provide any financial information whatsoever. The ALS society will help, but you do have to supply personal information.

At least that's what I was advised. My PALS friend in Alberta had everything provided for free via the ALS - every thing! Chair, lifts, BiPap, brand new mattress etc... Guess Alberta ALS is richer. PALS didn't even have to give financial information.

>Thankfully, my limited perspective is suffice for me to provide colourful back seat driving instructions. When the driver becomes irritated, the defroster fan is usually cranked up and I get drowned out!

Thanks, Elaine! You are always good for a smile :).

Thanks Elaine.
Yes, you are right about CEP funding not being geared by income.
ADP, where I received my tobii I-15 for speech/computer is based on income.
Just realized I have been trialing my chair since early December. Weird!
Cheers,
Casey

Casey... Ssshhhh ' bout the chair!

I was told last week by the augmentative communication folks at clinic that I can rent equipment for $800/yr - if I sign up for 2 years. The caveat made me chuckle!

Hmm.......How high does the defroster have to go to drowned out,,,,,,,ahhhh,,,,,,,,,,,advice? My husband is right at the front with me, and he was a truck driver for 28 years, so he has a lot of advice. I remind him that I am 1 month older, thus have driven longer, with a cleaner record I might add.

Ha! Paulette, the Ford Transit is generally manufactured for commercial use, thus the interior is not glamorous or sound proof. The fan, at full blast, muffles everything - me and the radio! I trust hubby's driving but one sister " follows too close" and the other has a " lead foot"! So, I can't help myself...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back