Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
CA
City
None
Hi My name is Donnie I'm 28 & I've known that I have sleep apnea since 4 years. Today I have an appointment with my doctor in the Sleep Lab department. This is my first time experience using a machine & I'm just curious which is the best one. & What others prefer. I would love your guys opinion.

Do you have ALS or sleep apnea? People with ALS need bipap. It is not a preference. If it is sleep apnea cpap is appropriate

Oh ok Thank you for replying I wasn't really sure rather she was going to ask me for BiPAP or CPAP

Since you have ALS I would probably go with the bipap so that the inhalators and expiratory pressures can be adjusted to fit your need. CPAP has continuous positive airway pressure which is the same in as out. Your doctor would be able to advise you which would be best for you, but there are machines out there that do both. My husband has a ResMed S9 VPAP ST-A, before that he had the ResMed S9-auto. He also uses a trilogy 100 sip & puff ventilator during the day that can be switched to biPap if he wants to sleep in his chair with nose pillows on. The Trilogy is great as it is so adaptable. There are some excellent web sites forums for sleep apnea and they discuss all the different machines.
Paulette

' I'll just point out a possibility you may run into so you are not suprised if it happens. It's absolutely true that ALS calls for use of the Bipap. However, many insurance companies will not cover that until the breathing test score FVC is at 50%. Since you said you have sleep apnea they may only cover use of Cpap right now.

Yes, I know it is stupid, but has happened to other folks before. You should definitely try to just get on Bipap if you have ALS. But if you can't yet, discuss with your doctor if Cpap would actually be detrimental since there would be a constant pressure against your diaphragm. It will depend on the pressures for your specific case.

I agree with all of the above replies. My husband started out with Cpap since he started out with sleep apnea. When his breathing became worse he was switched to bipap. Unbeknownst to everyone he had ALS.

I love each & every one of your replies.. Thank you for taking your time to give me the information that I was looking for :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back