Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
I am a retired teacher in the state of Arizona where we are also paid into and are eligible for social security. Since retiring four years ago (I am 56 years old) I have been teaching online classes through a community college. I have read other places on this forum that I need to be out of work for 6 months before the social security disability can be approved.

I signed a contract to teach one class this semester prior to receiving this horrible diagnosis. Do I need to resign this position right now so that the 6 month waiting period will begin?

Any advice on this matter will be appreciated...there is so much new information to process.

I'd call the social security administration.

Definitely call them. Tell them it is a TERI qualifying illness ( they should know this but it does not hurt to reinforce it). I THOUGHT you could apply immediately and benefits started 5 months after official diagnosis but do not know for sure my sister was stay at home mom and her work credits were not current. Let us know what they say!

The National ALS association has 6 small booklets that are free to all that are living with ALS. I would suggest that you get them there a lots of information in there that will very likely answer all your questions and provide much more information about this nasty disease.

My husband quit work April 1 2012, applied for SSDI the same week. He had to be not working for 6 months. They counted from the first of the following month. His first check came November. There was no problem being labeled TERI, but he did have to prove that he stopped working.

If you have a diagnosis of ALS. You are not required to wait 6 months. You can file immediately with a TERI case. Your application will be fast tracked because of diagnosis. I would apply over phone or in person. TERI cases get lost when done online.

Yes,
ALS is an automatic approval.
I made an appointment and met with a SS lady that helped me with the necessary papers.
Then I was contacted by phone by the person verifying my details with the doctor....they will not go on on your records or diagnosis letter alone.

All very helpful

Thanks for your replies. Social security is fast tracking the application and I don't have to quit my online teaching job (something I enjoy) since I make less than $1040/month. It's been an incredibly tough month dealing with this diagnosis but it's comforting to know you are all out there to help.

Thanks for your replies. Social security is fast tracking the application and I don't have to quit my online teaching job (something I enjoy) since I make less than $1040/month. It's been an incredibly tough month dealing with this diagnosis but it's comforting to know you are all out there to help.

How do you get an online gig? I'm a teacher by trade :)

I got the online job four years ago when I retired from high school math teaching. I was recommended by a friend who already taught at the community college so that helped. The online teaching field is really going strong now, so you may try applying at the community colleges and other places that offer distance learning. It was a lot of work in the beginning to learn the software and get my classes set up, but now it only takes a few minutes each day and is very rewarding as most of my students are adults working hard to get a degree while balancing jobs and other responsibilities.

i was denied 2 times…because i didn't have enough social security credits per quarter. i now have an attorney and waiting for a hearing date with an administrative law judge. so just having als does not guarantee anything.

Even though ALS is fast tracked, there is a 5month wsiting period for recieving money. You are allowed to make a certain amount of income, considered SGA, which is around $1000 per month, which is why AZGIRL can work during her waiting period.

i was denied 2 times…because i didn't have enough social security credits per quarter. i now have an attorney and waiting for a hearing date with an administrative law judge. so just having als does not guarantee anything.

oh that just pisses me off to no end! All the monies that get flushed down the toilet and they are going to make you fight for help! :mad:

can you collect SS if you are working, but not currently paying into ss?

AZ girl, if you enjoy the online teaching I would do it as long as you can. with technology, you should be able to continue and be productive. That sounds like a great gig!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back