Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
TX
City
Acuff
I've always had trouble with my left jaw due to TMJ (trans mandibular joint) issues since I was high school. Popping all the time, and lock down twice to a 1/2 inch opening. Lately the pain is worse and aches all the time. I can't take the really good muscle relaxers since I am on Lexapro and very sensitive to any narcotics and liquor.

I use an orthodontic splint at night and during the day. Any other ideas?

Marijuana? Helps me with muscle pain. I use it only when the pain won't let up or throbs. I smoke it for immediate result but most often I eat laced cookies or muffins - also effective but more subtle.

A friend with TMJ swears by massage - google ' intra-oral therapy' .

I've heard that helps with symptoms. Unfortunately, it's not legal in Texas.

Going to try a heating pad. I have a teeth cleaning appt at the dentist tomorrow. They are going to adjust my splint because it's irritating the back of my mouth and is really hard to get off.

For now it's softer foods like slow cooked stews, baked potatoes, and milkshakes. No crunchy foods like popcorn and nuts.

New here just wondering if anyone knows if trigemial neuragial is a symptome of primary lateral sclerosis or does it just go with age.thanks marylou

That's not what I have. TMJ stand for Temporomandibular joint dysfunction.

This a quote from the Mayo Clinic online information:

Pain or tenderness of your jaw
Aching pain in and around your ear
Difficulty chewing or discomfort while chewing
Aching facial pain
Locking of the joint, making it difficult to open or close your mouth
TMJ disorders can also cause a clicking sound or grating sensation when you open your mouth or chew. But if there's no pain or limitation of movement associated with your jaw clicking, you probably don't need treatment for a TMJ disorder.

I agave all these symptoms including pain. Now I also have cramping and twitches occurring in my left jaw. I can only take naproxen due to the fact I am taking anti-depressants. I have had some relief of the cramps by wearing a mouth splint for at least 8 hours at night, plus any extra time I can during the day.

Also, glad to see you here. But at the same time, sorry you are having to join us in this journey that no one should have to take. Today is my 100th day since official diagnosis. Next milestone I want to meet is one year. Taking a day at a time.

Marylou

I had trigeminal neuralgia a few years ago! I know why they call it the suicide disease - most painful thing ever!

My neuro assured me it is not related to my ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back