Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
TX
City
Acuff
So I got the flu shot and a pneumonia shot several weeks ago.

I wake up Saturday moronic with very sore throat and neck pain, body aches and low grade fever. Not a lot of phlegm, but it's hanging in the back of my throat. Feel the same way thi morning. I slept with my BiPap on until 5:30 as usual. Headache was gone when I first got up.
Fever in the low 100 range. Drops when I take Tylenol. But goes back up in a few hours.

Any advice or just treat it liken I always have?

Take Vit C 1000mg every hour until you get diarrhea, or if you are not very mobile try taking 1000mg 4 times a day. Make sure that the Vit C is in a capsule form, tablets don't digest very well. Also take Echinacea and golden seal. Tim takes the Vit. C and echinacea/golden seal every day and while his daughter and I have both had a cold twice, and several flus he has never been sick. He will not take flu shots as he has had such bad experiences with them in the past. I have one every year as it is required for my job and I never have a problem with it.

I had the flu shot and pneumonia shot without any side effects.

I now see the problem.

You want the forum to be like texting a friend or like Facebook.

I will just stay away from now on.
Sorry to have given you grief.

Jerry

What the heck are you talking about? What problem?
For goodness sakes - Tracy is sick and worried. Colds and flus are freakin' scary! As you well know.
What's the matter with you?
Seems to me you are well supported by members here - can't ya please pay it forward?

So I went to the doctor. Not strep or flu, thank goodness. Drainage seen in back of throat. Glands extremely swollen. No rattles or fluid sounds in lungs (imagine fist pump and "Yes!")

given a shot and a round of antibiotics, no work until Wednesday ( I teach).

Elaine, I saw your post about the hospital. Angels are all around us. Glad you're back.

Bad Balance - about time you figured it out. This is a support group. Where I live, there is not one. We make friends, celebrate when things go well, and weep when they don't. I have been very fortunate to make several friends on this forum. They have experienced things that few others outside this forum can understand. I have a large support group in my community. But they don't understand the tiny day to day stuff such as I can't tie my shoes unless I want to spend about 5 minutes doing that task. My husband is my best friend in the world, but he doesn't get it like a PALS does. I get help from the caregivers on this forum in understanding what he feels so that I can ease his burden in some way.

If you don't want a site like this I suggest you look elsewhere for information. I've seen several mentioned in other posts. They may fill your needs better.

As for me, this one suits me just fine.

Quit teaching! :p :p Those little angel kids will give you every cold going with their runny (albeit cute) noses!

Hope the antibiotics work. About those laces - I hear ya! Last fall, I had to ask a perfect stranger to please tie my shoes. ( and zip up my coat - but that was another day). I bought some elastic laces at wal mart. You just yank on them, and they stay put - pretty well. No knots and bows required. If you want better quality ( which I did) you can find them at shoe stores. Best $5. I ever spent.

This time it was my niece giving me the cold. My class room is disinfected every day by the wonderful janitors at our school. They asked the school nurse what would help me the most and she told them frequent disinfection to prevent colds would be best. I have a 99% attendance rate of my students. I think it is because of this.

I got a pair of the spiral elastic shoelaces to try. Gonna put them in this week. Cold front blowing in tomorrow so boots are the way to go the next few days.

I think this will be my last year to teach. I think with my speech and hand issues it will be too hard for more.

This time it was my niece giving me the cold. My class room is disinfected every day by the wonderful janitors at our school. They asked the school nurse what would help me the most and she told them frequent disinfection to prevent colds would be best. I have a 99% attendance rate of my students. I think it is because of this.

I got a pair of the spiral elastic shoelaces to try. Gonna put them in this week. Cold front blowing in tomorrow so boots are the way to go the next few days.

I think this will be my last year to teach. I think with my speech and hand issues it will be too hard for more.

I will find it difficult when I can't make it into the office. I'll bet it is going to be harder on Sandy (wife if 35 years).

Elaine is right, though ... kids are shared incubators -- they share all their germs with each other and then us! very seldom get colds or flu since they grew up. :)

Teachers build up a pretty strong immunity after a few years. The first two years as a beginning teacher can be rough. Or if they change school districts.

I take airborne and extra C each day. I feel a lot better today. Drank extra juice and upped the humidity a bit on the BiPap. It felt good. I warm it up about 20 minutes before I'm going to bed. So the water is warm, which makes the air warm. Otherwise, the cold air makes my nose stuff right up.

Get ready for a cold front, Texans, it's coming this way.

Last edited:
You don't know from cold!

C'mon up here! It's icy cold... we tell ourselves we'll keep better!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,451
Tracy,
I am glad to hear you are starting to feel better. Please rest as much as possbile so the cold or whatever it is doesn't get worse.

I am not a doctor but I just want everyone to know that you absolutely can't catch the flu from getting the shot. You might get another strain of the flu that the shot wasn't developed to prevent. But, the shot in itself does not give one the flu ever! Some people might be allergic to some ingredient in it or have bad side affects but it is not the flu. Also, you can't get the shot if you are allergic to eggs! The flu shot is a life saver in many cases. It is absolutely mandatory that we get it at the hospital where I work.

The shots aren't what made me sick. I did great with them. At the point I started the posts, I was concerned it was the flu due to the symptoms. But thankfully it wasn't. Went to work today. It was good to be back. My kiddos did a great job while I was gone. And they were very happy I was back.

Check this out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    924 KB · Views: 782
Aahhhhh! Make sure you are generous with the report cards!

Seriously, that is lovely. Glad you feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back