Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
Medford
I don't know how to handle this... my Mama has been here visiting me the past 3 weeks. We live about 1,500 miles from each other and see each other about once a year. The time with her has been wonderful.

This was the first time we have seen each other since my diagnosis and now the time is coming Tuesday- for her to go back home.

I am incredibly sad. In fact, I just suffered a bit of a panic attack while writing this!

What can I do to "get over" this? Or get through this?:confused:

Its lovely having family stay but sad when they leave. Is there a chance she could now come more often? I know it's hard and I'm sorry ��. Yasmin

do you have Skype? it is easy to set up, and it is like having them in the room. My Father in law used to skype with us nearly every morning while we had breakfast and the computer was set so it over looked the kitchen table, it was nearly like he had breakfast with his grand kids every morning., with the picture full screen it was very cool, it made him part of our every morning.

Sure wish I had some words of wisdom for you. It makes me sad to read your post and know that I would be feeling the same way, whether it was my daughter or my mom. I imagine it will be equally hard for her to say those goodbyes. SMP51 has a great idea about using Skype to stay connected with your mom! Is that a possibility for the two of you?

Enjoy your last day with your mama, THEN let the tears flow. It is normal and ok to feel down in the dumps and heavy hearted. Hugs.

I know what you mean.
All of our family is 850 miles away and although they have visited 5 times in the last year and a half, leaving is hard.

It is very hard on them also as the wife is in the final stages but on a plateau for awhile so each goodbye they say is a possible final one.

Saying goodbye to family that live far off is not easy.

Maybe no consolation, but I know what you are going through and it pains me just reading your post.

Yes, we both have Skype but we've never tried it with each other. She lives with my brother so I will see if he can show her how to use the web cam. She is in good health, but with her being 80, it complicates things in my heart as well.

We were planning to go "back home" next year in the summer, but my husband says we will try to go in about 6 months from now. While that helps, I am just still so sad wondering how I'll be 6 months from now. This is just hard. So hard.

It is extremely hard! Your Mom may surprise you with her Skyping abilities.

My Mom is 93 - she shocked the heck out of us. Went on her own to buy an ipad. The clerk in the store taught her a few things and set up an email. She arranged with bell to have wifi installed - then - she sent us an email! The last time Mom typed was on a manual ... And I mean manual ( non electric) typewriter she had purchased in the 1940's.

She bought the ipad, so she and I can do facetime. Which we do, everyday. She does get frustrated with the "doodads" but she's growing more confident and discovering a wider world as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back