Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
TX
City
Acuff
When did get your 1st handicapped parking sticker?

Hi Tracy,

I got mine about 6 months after diagnosis - when I started having to use a cane. Must say, I'm very grateful for having it now - especially when there actually is a spot available.

I don't have to use a cane yet. But walking around the grocery store wears me out. Going to the mall is a nightmare. I know this is just the start of those. Thanks for the reply.

T

Apply now Tracey. You can use it if/when you need it! Don't overdue it. That's how falls happen.

I got mine after I gave in and started using a cane. It is good in the winter when parking lots are slippery.

I'm going to Texas Neurology in Dallas on the 19th for a second opinion on the differential diagnosis I got from my local neuro. Lubbock docs won't do the final diagnosis. Which is fine with me. I am set up to have another EMG (3rd one) and a 1 hour consult with the doctor. I've been reassured by several others on the forum that Dr. Heitzman does a great EMG. He is also a Texas Tech graduate like me.

I'll add the parking sticker to my list of questions. I'm also going to ask about a rollater that might ease some of the walking stress at work because I could ride it on the trips down the halls.

Tracy

Last post went to moderation. Beats me why. Let me know if you see why. What keywords sent it there?

If it was the post at 7:02, I seen no restricted words.

Hi Tracy
You can download the application. Just search for Texas handicapped tag or similar. You fill out some and the doctor signs it. Maybe ypu can take it with you to appointment. Suspect you got modded for putting the name of the physician immediately following the title. Just guessing but have had it happen to me as well

I'm going to Texas Neurology in Dallas on the 19th for a second opinion on the differential diagnosis I got from my local neuro. Lubbock docs won't do the final diagnosis. Which is fine with me. I am set up to have another EMG (3rd one) and a 1 hour consult with the doctor.

Tracy

Hi, Tracy. If you have any possibility to go to Methodist, Dr. Appel's team has a great deal (tooo much!) of ALS experience. He is a straight-shooter and very well established. I have been told by Mayo, U of M, and several trial groups he is one of the top docs in the world. They even named the ALS disintegration scale the "Appel Index" :).

FWIW

Max

I got mine immediately. Walking was always a problem, but it became so tiresome and my balance is so bad. Up until 8 months ago, I could walk from handicap spot to the store cart, but now it's me in the power chair and permanent handicapped license plates.
I think we need to make sure we stay ahead of the curve. I firmly believe that the less you walk the longer you can.
Good luck.
Hollister

When I was diagnosed at the ALS Clinic, the coordinator gave me the form for the Disabled Parking Permit.

I also got mine immediately after I was diagnosed. even though my walking was impaired at the time of diagnosis, I wanted to be proactive. Also you needed a neurologist to sign off on it, and with the ALS clinic a good 2 hours from my house, wanted to get it done all in one shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back