12/2011
Country
US
State
Hawaii
City
Kona
Yesterday was my last working day.:D

Wasn't ez to make that decision. From a lot of our care takers threads you'll see a common theme. Men are stubborn and PALS will do all kinds of denial to keep our lives "normal" for as long as we can. That means working, driving, not letting others do things we think we can do etc.

When I got diagnosed last year I was determined I would work for three more years until I was eligible for my earned retirement and not take a disability/medical retirement.

It took me a year to realize the stress of work was probably not helping since I want to beat the statistics and be around for at least the next 7 years.

Do c said I need to get my PWC now.

I always said once I retire I would get one of those smart phone thingy's. So next Friday I'll go stand in line to get an iphone 5S. 8)

Good luck with retirement. I understand completely about being stubborn! ;-)

It's hard to retire before we planned.

Enjoy as best you can. At least you live in a place where your PWC can be used outdoors year round! You'll get more mileage out if it!

Are you thinking of getting a beach chair as well?

Happy retirement and enjoy and savor every moment. Do the things you can do now

There is no shame in retiring early. Enjoy it!

I hear you, I'm 41 and have recently decided to retire from my job. Other than driving my wife nuts I'm not sure what to do with my time other than fighting this illness. I'm lucky in that my employer offers a fairly comprehensive long term disability insurance package which will keep us covered as long as we don't start seeing strong inflation

Yes, i agree with the OP sentiment on PALS being stubborn about trying to live their normal lives after being diagnosed. I am 42 and still work FT. I was planning to work as long as I could (at least until when bulbar or my arms stopped working) even though my company offers a nice ST and LT disability package. I am rethinking that thought process and might not wait until my physical abilities deteriorate to that level, would like to enjoy family and life with those abilities while still intact...

I'll the same as Cricket!

Yesterday was my last working day.:D

Wasn't ez to make that decision. From a lot of our care takers threads you'll see a common theme. Men are stubborn and PALS will do all kinds of denial to keep our lives "normal" for as long as we can. That means working, driving, not letting others do things we think we can do etc.

When I got diagnosed last year I was determined I would work for three more years until I was eligible for my earned retirement and not take a disability/medical retirement.

It took me a year to realize the stress of work was probably not helping since I want to beat the statistics and be around for at least the next 7 years.

Do c said I need to get my PWC now.

I always said once I retire I would get one of those smart phone thingy's. So next Friday I'll go stand in line to get an iphone 5S. 8)

good for you! Now you can do all the stuff you have been waiting for!

Go Android!

Typical techy :)

Max

It's hard to retire before we planned.

Enjoy as best you can. At least you live in a place where your PWC can be used outdoors year round! You'll get more mileage out if it!

Are you thinking of getting a beach chair as well?

Hi, Elaine -- what is a PWC?

Max

rethinking that thought process and might not wait until my physical abilities deteriorate to that level, would like to enjoy family and life with those abilities while still intact...

Exactly. Took me awhile to get around to realizing this was the best course.

Max,
I believe PWC is Power Wheel Chair. The next two things to work on for me Vehicle and PWC.

It is quite calming being home everyday. The stress at work was really not doing me any favors.

Iphone is kind of neat. Used go ogle maps to find my way around the other day. Well actually my daughter showed me. I still have a way to go on figuring out. Still trying to do the swipe thingy.

Taking vitamins and coconut oil daily.

My first planned trip is to go to the Pro Bowl here on Oahu in Jan 2014. Looking for a travel wheel chair. Thinking about getting the Victory Sport from Pride. Its a little weightier than the Go-Go model but has a medium back seat.

I have the Go Go Elite Traveller Plus and I like it a lot.

My pit crew (sisters) can disassemble it and pack it in the trunk in 36 seconds. We've had time trials! :smile: Heaviest part is 35lbs. Your choice of Victory Sport is great - that was also my first choice for comfort & stability (and speed) But, seeing that its heaviest part is 60lbs - I went with the lighter model.

Glad to hear its working out for you. Pit crew sounds great! Thanks for the insight.

Ottawa Girl...that made me chuckle with your F1 style pit crew...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back