Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Pinehurst
Quick question: Are sore muscles another symptom of ALS? Last week we took the dogs for their morning walk and the two setters pulled me along more strongly than was comfortable. The next day I was sore in the legs like after the first day of skiing. That was Thursday. Now, Sunday the soreness has moved up my back and this AM it is in my neck and shoulders -- like I had over done it weight lifting (which I have not). Odd?

Not odd. Typical.

Earlier in my ALS, I had muscle pain following the most mundane tasks like vacuuming, standing in the kitchen cooking. Then the soreness morphed into very nasty spasms after walking too long. I get a super bad back ache from emptying the dishwasher or washer! (both tasks I officially resigned from last week).

The last time I "walked" my dog was last autumn. Occasionally, I ride my scooter when I take her out - but it's not the same - and given that we reside in a high-rise condo. it's quite the operation!

Max, at my first ALS clinic, I was told "conserve energy". I did not truly grasp the concept until recently.

I don't know for sure if it would help your sore muscle or not. But, at the assistant living place where my dad is now he gets to take baths in a whirlpool kind of like tub. He says his legs feel fantastic after he's done.

Thanks, Elaine --it sounds similar to what mine is evolving into. Thanks for the info, I will find a way to adapt.

Max

>I don't know for sure if it would help your sore muscle or not. But, at the assistant living place where my dad is now he gets to take baths in a whirlpool kind of like tub. He says his legs feel fantastic after he's done.

I'll bet, Kim! Our hot tub burned up in the High Park fire when we lost the house, etc. I was just saying to Sandy this morning how I wish we still had one, even down here in Hotston, Humidistan, Houston :). Maybe, if money allows we can get a small one down here ... give your dad our best wishes!

Max

Max I struggle with this with my PALS.

He wants to stay as 'normal' as possible, and I agree with him

BUT

He doesn't seem to understand that he not only can't do what he used to, but he risks damaging muscles by doing things he shouldn't.

Example: he woke with swollen painful fingers and wrist the other day, we wonder what he did, then he realises maybe it was the trouble he had lifting a bag of groceries out of the trolley into his car... will he stop doing this? no

It has happened many times, and I try to gently tell him that I worry he will really damage a muscle and it just ain't gunna heal if he does. He says, let me be the judge of what I can do.

So please do listen well to your body, I know it's so hard when you think things are quite simple and it's frustrating that you have problems with those things, but Ottawa girl says it so truly, conserve energy.

Max,

I miss my jacuzzi too - but truth be told, I recently got into a tub. Thought I was gonna live out the rest of my days there. It took me a very long time and ardurous effort to get out. I was like a beached whale. Was it worth it? Nope. Not to me. The heating pad works just as well on my aching muscles. For excitement, and to change it up, I use a hot water bottle. Shake it up and listen to the swishing water... almost sounds like a tub full of deliciously warm water.

getting my PALS in and out of our big spa tub is becoming a situation and I think we will be lucky to have weeks left for him using it :(

such a shame as it was something we have always so enjoyed together.

I'll swish that hot water bottle for him Elaine, I think a photo of his face would be priceless though! :p

My hip has been so sore all last night and today. Who knows what I did. Probably sweeping and mopping the floor from my wheel chair.

I have never had pain like this. I used the heating pad today and took advil. It helped a lot.

Just can't do what I used to. Today I used my walker got up and got dressed and that was it. Done for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back