Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
PA
City
Ottsville
I was wondering if anyone else has progression from proximal to distal? For instance, my weakness is located closer to the center of my body- hips and shoulders weak, hands and feet still fairly strong. I am SOD1 fALS, and my progression is very different from any of my family members. I know that fALS can present differently within one family, but I don't know any pALS with progression similar to me.

Yes, I have similar type of progression. Weakness and atrophy first hit my right arm (about 1.5 years now), starting at my shoulder and bicep. I still have full use of my right hand even though my right hand strength is "weak" (35lbs grip strength). My right leg is somewhat affected but don't have foot drop, still walking pretty normal. Definitely have tightness in my hips on the front and sides also have had major pains towards the back of my hips for many years (don't think related to ALS).

Left arm is now starting to show some weakness, starting at shoulder and bicep, very slight atrophy (80lbs grip strength). Harder to lift things, but no problem typing, griping pen/utensils, etc. No bulbar or breathing issues at this time. FYI I was diagnosed with sporadic, no known family ALS

Last edited:
My main problem is lifting my right arm to shoulder height and am beginning to have slight problems with my left arm. Hand grip strength is still very strong. Leg strength is getting progressively weaker but I can still get up from the floor from a kneeling position. Sporadic ALS diagnosis.

Mine worked its way up my legs into my torso. Began to affect my bulbar area. Is now into my upper arms. Crazy the way it goes.

Thank you all for the responses. Just when I thought I knew what to expect from seeing this with my mom, life throws me something new. Sometimes ALS can really drive me crazy! I'm trying to keep a positive attitude, firmly believing that's half the battle. Have a good night:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back