Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
New York
City
Cedarhurst
I thought I read somewhere than an ankle brace could be used to add support to walk. Anyone know if this is so and what kind?

Did a search for you.

AFO = ankle foot orthotic
Your doc and PT/OT can determine which kind will meet your needs.
Check out older threads in the archives about AFOs for more tips and even photos. Rose and maybe Barryg posted some pics
You'll find the change in your gait absolutely incredible!

My dad is supposed to be getting some kind of brace for his leg or foot. I will post once I find out how he gets along with it.

Sorry to sound stupid, but would this help at all if I am already at the point at shuffling across the floor- I can no longer lift my legs when I walk. NO stairs.

My dad can only shuffle and his doc thought a brace would benefit him. Dad hasn't been able to use stairs for over a year. Can't lift the legs that much. My dad mentioned it awhile back to his ALS doctor and they didn't really comment. Now they were the one's who brought it up and are getting him them.

FG - you do not sound stupid! I had to ask the same question last year.

An AFO, as far as I know, is to correct foot drop. Do you shuffle because of leg/thigh weakness or because of foot drop? Does your toe tend to catch and make you trip?

I wear one on my left leg since February, and it's helped me a lot. I stupidly didn't wear it all the time initially - but since a fall in June, I would not even attempt to walk without it. No stairs for me either, if I can help it!

I just sort of got up one day and could no longer lift my feet. :eek:(

Hi fallinggirl, my PALS is experiencing a similar thing.

I have been checking his feet and he isn't showing any foot drop but his left leg thigh muscles are now wasting (the hip muscles have been badly wasted for months) and he is starting to really shuffle that leg along. He says he is having trouble lifting the leg properly.

We walked down some stairs a couple of days ago when we were out and I told myself that I was not going to take him on stairs again.

Can you see or feel muscle wastage in your legs?
If you are sitting and lift a foot off the floor, does it point toes down and can you flex it up?

This might just help you work out whether the problem is in your legs or your feet.
Do you see a PT very often and can talk this through?

My PALS sees a PT and OT every week, he doesn't think they always do him much good, but then he is being checked all the time which makes me happy.

For those with foot drop, AFO's are great. I have bilateral foot drop and use Otto Bock WalkOn Trimable 28U23 AFO's. They are carbon fiber, light, cool, and comfortable. My feet don't drop down too much, without the AFO I land flat footed rather than on my heel (most people when they step forward land on their heel and rock forward onto their toes). I found my big toe catching on things and I stumbled forward, sometimes jamming my toe or toes. Biggest problem was if I was barefoot on grass or beach. With AFO's I don't have that problem. I think the AFO's make walking down stairs or down hill harder. As the foot drop got worse, I found I was waking up in the morning and my shins (outboard side on both sides) ached. Doc got me a boot like AFO that velcros on and had a hard rubber sole. They are big and bulky and wake me up. I did use them when I was in the hospital for awhile; they kept my shins from hurting and I could get up and walk with them on. I just got two AliMed Dorsal PF Night Splint. It does the job and since they are not as big and bulky I sleep better with them on. So much for my experience with foot drop.

Leg strength is another problem. While I'm not tripping over little things when I have the AFO's on, I am finding it more and more difficult to go up stairs, step up into a truck, get up from a chair or get up from a knee. I use my arms more to get myself up. Don't have a fix for this problem. I think if you're losing leg strength it's a good idea to be looking into wheel chairs (powered if possible) and ways to cope with getting on with life without walking. Not a great thought but it's what those of us with ALS have to face. Best of luck to you.

Hi BK.

Welcome - first post and all....

I have foot(left) drop - AFO is terrific, but lately I have to be extra cautious because my foot still sometimes catches. Several near misses in the last few days! Just bought a rollator, and hoping the combination will keep me upright a bit longer though thigh & leg muscles are weakening.

May be a downward slope for the moment, but digging my heels in.

I have my ALS clinic appt on the 25th this month, I guess I need to talk about getting something (AFO, etc) My right foot hasn't dropped and I am still walking, going up and down stairs, but I get the carpet monster grabbing my toes on right foot sometimes. in addition I am getting leg weakness on both sides where if I am crouching or on the floor I cant get up with out help or using my arms.

Hi everyone, this is my first entry, but since I wear an ankle brace, thought I'd join in this conversation. I use a walker and had the footdrop problem, so was fitted for the AF0. I learned one very important thing--be sure to wear the shoe size that you intend to keep wearing. I wore old dirty sneakers that happened to be a half size larger than all my others, and the AfO won't fit in any of my other shoes. You should see me going to church on Sundays with flowing black slacks and dirty white sneakers! Oh well, I'm not trying to impress anyone and God accepts me...that's the important thing!

I just went to a pedorthist today and he recommended this ToeOff type of AFO. It goes in front of your shin (with velcro straps around the calf), down beside the ankle (on one side) and is attached to a foot plate that fits under the insole of your shoe. It's made of carbon fiber, I believe. Is this the type of thing other PALS have got? It's quite expensive* and other accessories (padding for the AFO, and orthodic insole) were recommended.

Untitled Document

*I believe 70% of the cost will be covered by the Assistive Devices Program (ADP) in Ontario.

Looks interesting. Never saw one like that before.
Mine is on the back of the calf and under my entire foot, supporting my ankle. Velcro on the front.

Do you have foot drop? I do.

ADP covers 75% (to a maximum $600, I believe). I got mine via the clinic. I paid the difference to them and they billed ADP directly. It's very thin plastic which was made to measure for me at the rehab. centre @ ottawa hospital.

Looks interesting. Never saw one like that before.
Mine is on the back of the calf and under my entire foot, supporting my ankle. Velcro on the front.

Do you have foot drop? I do.

ADP covers 75% (to a maximum $600, I believe). I got mine via the clinic. I paid the difference to them and they billed ADP directly. It's very thin plastic which was made to measure for me at the rehab. centre @ ottawa hospital.

I don't have foot drop, although because my leg is weak I don't lift my foot that high off the ground. My ankle and foot are weak, and if I'm walking for a period of timebI feel like my feet and legs are start to drag. I don't think I need the AFO immediately, but I will in the future. I'm thinking of getting it this year though, as I can also claim it on my work health benefits for 2013 (I have some credits that will expire at the end of the year). The ToeOff AFO is $900+ each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back