Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
Medford
I posted a few days ago about swallowing trouble but for the past three days or so I have been experiencing something new.

Is this aspiration? The best way I can describe it is I eat, it gets stuck, and feels like it's gone down completely wrong. I'm coughing, coughing, coughing, but it is still stuck hours later.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the above, but at the same time, right now, my upper back hurts. Anyone with experience in this? :confused:

It's potential aspiration. Talk to your dr. about scheduling a swallow test. Consider a feeding tube if you're choking. Aspiration is if food gets in your lungs. A swallow test will show this and you can go from there

In the mean time eat things that are easy to eat like soups, take small bites, chew well, tuck our chin when swallowing and be careful!

could be, get a doctor to check, or a speech pathologist, you don't want to risk pneumonia. Do you have any temperature?

In situation like this we used to use cough assist. Yet four months after peg surgery my husband was able to eat one meal daily, but we we used cough assist after every one. I recommend cough assist in manual mode and just for exhale. My husband inhale by himself and for exhale I apply mask of cough assist and we repeat it for about six times.

Thanks everyone. No, I am not running a temperature at all. It's just getting to the point that I want to just have a nutritional shake or something... food is too hard to take, and believe me, I have always loved food.

I can still eat with no problems but mix my own health drink every day for extra calories. want list, just ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back