Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
SMALL TOWN IN
My father's ALS is limb onset. Do they normally totally lose their voice? His voice kind of comes and goes. If he's upset it appears worth. His last check-up his breathing was still pretty good. He is moving away for at least awhile and I want to be able to talk to him on the phone. I wondered if the loss of voice is normally faster for someone with bulbar onset. Thanks for any insight. Kim

@Kim,

There have been PALS where ALS started as Limb-onset and they never lost their voice even at the very end of the disease.

Do you remember the late Forum Moderator Al Pettit? He was ALS Limb-onset and never lost his voice.
There is a PALS 65 years old who attends to the our PALS/CALS monthly meetings sponsored by our Local Chapter of ALS Association and he's Limb-onset with ALS diagnosis dating back to 2005 and his voice is as strong as any healthy folk.

Although, if a PALS with Limb-onset has his/her Pulmonary functions diminished, it will definitely affect his/her talking as taking doesn't depend only on the tongue but on your breathing muscles such as diaphragm.

He may want to keep his Pulmonary function in check and practice Breathing Stacking Exercises that would help increase his FVC.

Hope this helps.

Given enough time he would most likely totally lose his voice. But what typically happens prior is either:
- slurred speech to bad to understand
- monotone and/or soft voice from vocal cords muscles weakness
- whisper voice because not enough breath support from diaphragm weakness

That is a generalization and no guarantee it won't just stop in a short period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back