Diagnosis
06/2013
Country
US
State
Oregon
City
Medford
My arms are getting so "heavy" for lack of a better word. I start folding clothes and can no longer do it without getting extremely uncomfortable. When holding a phone, I have to change hands back and forth as to not go insane from the heavy feeling.

Anyone else experience this? I was diagnosed in June. I guess I am just wondering what's around the corner, to happen next. If I want to put on makeup, I have to take over an hour if I am going to do it. Thankfully, most of the time, my teen age daughter does it for me.

I have heavy arms too. They often ache. Especially in the night. Sometimes I wear a sling for a couple of hours to relieve the pressure on my shoulder. Travel pillows are great arm bolsters when I sit and/or recline.

Don't know what's around the corner either - we try to stay ahead of the curve. Bought a hair dryer stand which helps. My arms get too tired and I can't hold the dryer. ( let alone the brush some days). Have simplified the make-up to lipstick & mascara. Getting deodorant on is a bigger daily challenge for me. Enlist the kids to fold the laundry. No one will do it as well as you - but let it go. Really, so long as the clothes are clean, the wrinkles don't matter in the bigger scheme of things. I can't scrub like I used to - learning to ignore the dust balls and now wonder why those things were so paramount to me in the past.

I save my arms for the more important task: hugging. I want to give as many hugs as I can, while I can.

I have the same issues less the make up thing. It takes up to an half hour just to shave and brush my teeth. And put my phone on speaker mode that help a lot.
Patrick

Geesh Patrick - you have it easy!

Try adding make-up to the mix!

:razz::razz::razz: (this is me with red lipstick & laughing at my own joke!):razz::razz::razz:

I've been told by my Neuro and Nurse at the ALS Clinic I attend to that the "heaviness" feeling on arms and legs is because they cannot overcome gravity due to weakness and atrophy.
When you try to raise them, they are so weak that gravity pulls them down. If you do not practice R.O.M. (Range Of Motion) exercises regularly for those affected Limbs (arms, for example), you risk developing "frozen shoulder" which is nearly impossible to move once it gets to that point.

Regards,

I have the same problems. I can no longer fold the large towels. My husband and son helps out with the laundry. I also switch back & forth while on the phone. I had to tell a long winded friend a few days ago that I had to go because my arms were starting to cramp. Putting on make up is an ordeal, no other females in this house so I tackle it alone. I have learned to use water based mascara. It makes it easier to clean up the mistakes when I end up getting it on my cheeks & eye lids :shock:

I enlist the help of my husband or son to dry my hair and they are getting pretty good with the flat iron. I never thought in a million years I would ever let either of them at my hair with any kind of iron!

I agree that we have to let others help and it's never quite like we would do it. After a while though I too found out that it didn't matter. Hugs are better than dusters. I am just glad I have my husband and friends to help and hug now!

I also put my trust in my husband to help me with make-up. I always giggle and laugh when he applies lipstick and it ends up on my teeth. He helps me with my contact lenses. That was hard to do at first. My eyes kept blinking like crazy or closing shut. Took forever. Now I leave them out so I can't see the dust buffaloes!

Anyone else experience this? I was diagnosed in June. I guess I am just wondering what's around the corner, to happen next.

Yes that heaviness is what I've been calling weakness in my arms. Went to the movies the other day and my arms were getting to tired to reach into the bag of popcorn and lift it up to my mouth! That was a little bit depressing.

I also put my phone on speaker quite a bit. It is so hard to move clothes from the washer to the dryer, but I still want to keep being as normal as possible so I try.

Try not to worry about what's next. Since you were recently diagnosed look forward to helping with clinical trials, check out the "Walk for ALS" in your area, keep a positive attitude.

You may have to come here and vent once in a while as well as sharing the good things in life. I check into this forum to see what the pulse of the ALS community is and enjoy reading the reports of others who are in clinical trials. Just hoping one day for a cure or at least some real treatment. Some of the tips and tricks that are shared kind of gives us notice on what we have coming eventually and will help you with your own endeavor.

Take care, BOB

Yes I have the same issue. Particularly with my right arm, been almost 2 years now since I noticed the weakness and atrophy. My right arm/shoulder pretty atrophied and hand strength in lbs down to 35. Left arm/shoulder is stronger hand strength at 80 lbs. Can't hold phone with right hand long at all (use speaker a lot). I don't really lift food to my mouth, brush my teeth or shave with right hand anymore (unless I use my left to prop it).

I guess the only good thing is I have my dexterity still with right hand so if being propped or laying flat I can use it fine like typing on computer.

As others have stated, not worth worrying where things are headed just adapt and enjoy what you can.

I noticed today an increase in difficulty feeding myself. That I believe will be next. :-( I think just being newly diagnosed, it's overwhelming right now. Will this feeling ever end?

Dearest falling girl,

I hear and share your pain.

For me the feeling of being overwhelmed ebbs and flows. Somedays are just plain horrible. Keeping up with, let alone keeping ahead of, the curve balls is totally overwhelming. The best I hope for is to plateau at some point. I believe that's not an unreasonable expectation and I believe it's possible. That hope keeps me going.

I know that if I'm overtired, I lose abilities, but as soon as I rest up, I seem to to be able to do something that a few days before I couldn't do. Not saying these are monumental things... But even restoring some tiny ability makes my day. Therein lies my hope.

Wish I had more encouraging comments for you. You've been blindsided. We all have been sucker punched. We can only strive to make the best of each day because each day is a gift.

Thanks so much Elaine! I am so glad to have this place to come to. I am tired all the time and tired of all that's happening and it's only the beginning.

Fallinggirl, stay strong. One step at a time...There are tips and gadgets that will help you modify and adapt. Using the tools available to us can help make life easier. Remember to be gentle and caring to yourself.

Hi , my first time to post . I have the same problems with my arms , but my biggest problem I notice is fatigue. It is overwhelming at times . I try to make myself stay busy within reason. I to notice more weakness the more tired I am . My thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

John

( Everyday is a good day , some are just better then others )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back