Diagnosis
10/2000
Country
CA
State
NL
City
Newfoundland
Recently I had an unpleasant and frightening experience. I was given a new medication for urinary urgency called apo tizanidine. I added it to my daily pill regimen that I take and pack 3 weeks worth at a time. I also decided to see if I could reduce my spasticity by increasing my twice-daily dosage of baclofen from 2 tabs to 3 tabs. I have been taking baclofen for about 12 years and thought it gave me no side effects

The first morning at work after taking the new medication (and the increased baclofen) I felt dizzy and had “brain fog”. Unable to think clearly I was ineffective at work and took the afternoon off. My frequent need to pee was no better either. I thought the problem lay with the apo tizanidine (some of these side effects are noted with the drug) so I stopped taking it the following morning. I felt only slightly better over the next few days but still not feeling sharp. As well, over the next several days, I noticed that both my arms and legs were weaker and at night my body was tingling. I feared my progression was speeding up. I was more tired during the day than normal yet was unable to sleep well at night.

These conditions persisted for about 2 weeks after I had increased the baclofen dosage. Out of curiosity I googled ‘baclofen side effects’ and was surprised to see, among others:

Confusion
Drowsiness
Muscle weakness
Insomnia
More frequent urination

I immediately returned to my previous baclofen dosage. Over the next few days all the side effects noted above disappeared or, in the case of peeing frequently, was reduced.

You always see the side effects but you never think they will happen to you. Scary that it was the same effects ALS has. Glad everything is back to normal

yes; I agree....same problem when I increased the Baclofen. I is a balancing act and the urgency issues are embarrasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back