Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
New York
City
Cedarhurst
I've never had acid reflux and now find a slight case of it each night when I lie down even though I haven't eaten in hours. Is thie related to the disease?

only had it once, was in process of laying down, thought it would burn everything in my mouth. try this supplement ACIDIL. Friends who are anti-supplement says it really works for them. I would suspect laying down might make it worse, easier to flow towards mouth.

I got bed lifts and put them under the head. I've had reflux since I was 4,So I know every trick in the book. Chewing gum, less tomatoes, less chocolate, and on and on. Good luck and if I can help you, feel free to ask.

I've noticed more episodes of gastric reflux since I've got this disease (ALS) and happen more often after I've eaten something and lay down.

Carlos

I've had acid reflux since diagnosis, coincidence? who knows. Was put on OMEPRAZOLE caps which keep it under control thankfully, have enough to contend with!

celticgirl (and others),
I'm no pharmacy tech, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I'm attaching something I found when I was recently prescribed omep (I am taking Rilutek). Just FYI.

Also, when being discharged from the hospital after my DPS procedure, I saw they added "Acid reflux disease" to my record. News to me!

Effect of Other Drugs on RILUTEK Metabolism: In vitro studies using human liver
microsomal preparations suggest that CYP 1A2 is the principal isozyme involved in the initial
oxidative metabolism of RILUTEK, and, therefore, potential interactions may occur when
RILUTEK is given concurrently with agents that affect CYP 1A2 activity. Potential inhibitors of
CYP 1A2 (e.g., caffeine, phenacetin, theophylline, amitriptyline, and quinolones) could decrease
the rate of RILUTEK elimination, while inducers of CYP 1A2 (e.g., cigarette smoke, charcoalbroiled
food, rifampicin, and omeprazole) could increase the rate of RILUTEK elimination.

never taken rilutek, might explain why I don't have acid reflux with als

My husband had it after diagnosis and it was suggested he have a Tums before bed. He did and luckily it worked. So simple!

For acid reflux there are two types of over the counter meds. one to reduce acidity ie. Diovol The other is to put a barrier of foam at the top of the stomach ie. Gavascon. If the reflux is worse than these can handle then a prescription medicine is in order. Been on them for 20 yrs myself and they work well. I have a familial predisposition and have not noticed any change with my ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back