PALS
Diagnosis
04/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
I am interested in finding out how many people who have ALS is of Irish, English or even Scottish decent.
I know there are people that read this forum and do not post. I would really appreciate it if you are only a reader to please just post your decent if you have any of these genes.
Thanks

Hi we are English specifically Cornish. My sister and I are the first USborn. We are c9orf72 FALS

Hi, I am of English and Irish decent. I am second generation born in Canada.

I've found higher incidence of this disease (ALS/MND) in English speaking countries than elsewhere (e.g.: USA, UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand).

I don't know why is that but it's kind of strange.

Carlos

I've found higher incidence of this disease (ALS/MND) in English speaking countries than elsewhere (e.g.: USA, UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand).

I don't know why is that but it's kind of strange.

Carlos

That is what I was also thinking. I am English & Irish.

what about the welsh..tut tut...........english speakers have best medical facilities, so more would be diagnosed.......besides, were all out of africa are we not ...so were all irish .......johnny

Supposedly the incidence of ALS in general is the same across populations. Certain genetic forms are more common in certain countries. C9 is rampant in Finland and I believe extremely common in Northern Europeans in general. ( that darn Viking! according to one theory one Viking raped and pillaged and spread his defect far and wide). I think a fair number of SOD1 folk have some Native American ancestry

Guam has highest als incident rate. Finland does have highest number of genetic als cases, and spread up and down the coast as far south as northern france. imagine they gave a boost in England. it appears those Vikings were a horney bunch

The Guam experience is fascinating to me as the illnesses include ALS but also dementia and a psp like illness mirroring the c9 spectrum of neuro degenerative illnesses. However it appears to have been environmental related to eating fruit bats and ingesting a neuro toxin. The ALS rates have declined dramatically. The most recent statistic I could find was slightly less than 3 cases per 100,000 in the period 1996- 2000.

The Viking theory actually supposes the c9 spread to be one man. Too bad he did not stay home!

@Nikki J:

Don't forget that the Normans (the ones who were led by William I, the Conqueror to the conquest of England in 1066) were a related to the Vikings. Because some Vikings settled in the region of Normandy (France) and thus took the name Normans.

England was a major power back then and conquered much of the world (USA, Canada [which was taken from the French], Australia, New Zealand, Ireland) thus, spreading that defective ALS/MND gene wherever they settled (specially people of English and Irish ancestry).

@Johnny:

If that theory held true, then there should be plenty of ALS/MND cases in Africa, and elsewhere and the more documented cases I've seen so far are in English ancestry countries.
Take into account that there are diseases (non-ALSrelated) that exclusively occur in countries such as India, Japan or China.

Carlos

My mom's side all came here from Germany. My maiden name is English and my dad's family all came from England. I would love to have a British accent. I think it is so neat. I love to hear my son's friend talk. I think I drive the poor kid nuts.

My husband is of English and Native American descent.

I also have some Cherokee Indian but I believe that the English and/or Irish decent is where the ALS gene lies.

we are all mongrels........not a pedigree between us......johnny

I'm Scottish and Irish, but the Irish side came to the states in 1705 but being Quaker, the line stayed pretty straight with some English mixed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back