Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
New York
City
Cedarhurst
My walking is getting weaker. Indoors, I use a walker and/or a rollator. Outside, I have a transport chair. My walking is now frequently shuffling and at times, my right leg isn't even doing that. I wait and wait and then it eventually will shuffle. When I need a wheelchair, am I still able to go to the bathroom by myself?

Of you are asking this question, the time is NOW. Please do not wait till you have a fall. It can,take several months to get a chair. Maybe you can get one from an ALS loan closet in the meantime. As far as being able to use the toliet, you will most likely need help to transfer from PWC to toliet. My husband has a shower commode chair that we wheel over the toliet. It would be impossible for me to transfer him to toliet from his PWC in our small bathroom. You doctor will write a script for your chair. They cost a lot of money, upwards of $30,000.

Everything that sadimae said is right on the money......... Definitely get in touch with the loaner closet they WILL be able to get you a loaner chair........lots of pals not using their chairs anymore.

My experience is that:
the biggest advantage of a chair is that it allows you to go distance much easier, therefore saving you energy that you can use for other tasks.
you may be able to prolong the amount of time that you can to walk by using the chair just some of the time.
you should transition to the chair in the same way that you transitioned from the cane to the rollator. There will be overlap
don't wait too late because of vanity........start getting used to the chair now........it is in your future......it is easier to learn how to handle it, transport it, live with it, while your health is good.

Regarding the bathroom it all boils down to your transfer skills..........if you've still got strength in the upper body then you're golden. If you can't transfer out then you WILL need help, but there are options.

First thing get in touch with your local loaner closet. They want to help you

Your Dr. will write your prescription for the chair......I'm surprised that they haven't already........Bring it up at your next visit.

All the replies you've got are excellent and say it all.

I just wanted to add, do NOT wait to the point when your legs become unreliable for walking.
They might still feel strong but...they might not be very reliable even for short walks.

My left leg shakes a lot when I walk and that's because I have lost bulk muscle mass in this leg and now it looks very thin. Also, my left foot look thinner when compared to the right foot. All this causes my left ankle to twist outwards when I walk. Therefore, my legs are unreliable and may cause me a fall. I've heard that some PALS have died form...falls! Then, why risk falling when you can move around (at home) on a Power WheelChair (PWC)?

Carlos

Exactly Carlos, My husband had a bad fall on Memorial Day, 2011. Was standing by the bed, fell and his neck was punctured 1/2 inch from his jugular. He was just using his walker in the house at that time. He almost bled out and died, and has used his wheel chair 24/7 ever since. Many PALS experience a rapid decline after a serious fall.

The smart thing is to get in a chair before you crack your head open. I can still walk to the bathroom from where the chair is parked, about 6 feet. I find I have a lot more energy and am a lot nicer to be around now that I have the chair. I got my chair March 13 and it has 64 miles on it. I only had to take 2 small falls before I gave in. But having worked in orthopedics I sure know how much broken bones hurts. So I would 2nd the thought that if you're asking it's already time.
Hollister

My experience with a power chair was a feeling of liberation from the falls I was having.

But be careful before getting a chair. You need one that tilts and reclines to avoid pressure sores.

Shop around for vendors. Only use one that has experience in installing ventilators

Hi Lee! Long time no see! Still spreading SPAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back