Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
mo
City
nixa
Background; past january we purcased a honda oddesey to prepare for wheel chair. at that time i could get in and out, with aid of spinner knob was able to drive it and did regularly. in mar it was sent to az for modification. returned end of apr, as my wife was driving me around in the car i didn't try driving it. last week she went in hospital for hip replacement. in this journey i can raise left arm to forehead, hand squeeze 0 lbs, right arm can fully extend, hand squeeze 10lbs (mar 5th). heres what i learned, it took a short stool to get up in drivers seat, right arm barely able to hook seat belt, barely able to squeeze button and put in gear, unable to turn steering wheel with the turning knob 360 without left arm pushing and hurting. drove back in garage, thought i put it in park, took foot off brake and it rolled back out of garage, in reverse instead of park, got it back in garage, shut off and exited, fully exhausted. so can anyone help me determine whats wrong or if i should turn in my keys?
i

I use to co-ordinate care for patients at a Center for Macular Degeneration. Macular Degeneration robs a person of their central vision over time. The question of driving came up frequently. I asked patients to think about how they would feel if they seriously injured or killed someone because of their vision problems. One guy told me he used his side vision for driving. I told him had to give up driving immediately and that if he didn't the Center would report him to the state DMV for a driving test.

Ask yourself if you would pass a drivers test. Ask yourself if someone you loved were injured because of a driver who had ALS to the degree that you do would you feel this driver should have put their keys away. Would you be comfortable as a passenger if someone else had the limitations you have expressed?

My husband went for a drivers test via the VA back in November to be sure his reflexes were still intact for driving. They were at the time. We watch for it and we know the day will come that he has to give up his keys. It is one of the more difficult "things" to let go of because it really is our independence in so many ways.

that question was posted definately in jest without any hesitation i gave up my keys please compare it to some who come on this site time after time, then again knowing or wishing they had als

Silly pearshoot! Just to say, like you, I didn't hesitate either to give up my keys. Why put other lives at risk? I really hope that other pals listen to their limits and not continue to drive because of pride or denial. Wishing your wife a speedy recovery.

I know my PALS is still driving OK, I would compare it to how lots of 80+ drive around the place - bit scary, but probably just passable ... I hope he will just hand over his keys peacefully at the right time.

Nice description Pearshoot, silly of you to even try since you must have known in your heart, but makes a great story to read anyway!
Hope your wife is recovering from the hip replacement?

I know it must be really hard giving up on driving a car, mostly if you have been driving all your life. As a PALS, you feel that you're also giving up more freedom you had before but...think about it this way:

Not many car insurance companies (at least, here in the USA) insure drivers with a terminal disease such as ALS which affects your muscles and your ability to drive safely on the streets.
Furthermore, you might be risking your own life and...the lives of the people who are riding with you in your car.
And, to make things even worse, can you even imagine if you are involved in a car accident involving another car and the passengers riding in that car or if you destroy private property in the accident?
Do you have an idea of your liability and, that the affected people may sue you in court and your family because of that car accident?

I turned over my keys and I no longer drive for safety reasons.
I know I gave up some independence but it's better to be safe than sorry.

NH

Sorry, I guess I didn't get that your comment was in jest. Tone is not always so easy to pick up in the written word.

We still carry insurance on me because to take me off was going to raise our premiums. I know that doesn't make sense but that is what they told us.

The deal I have with myself and others is that if I cannot fasten the seat belt and release it, I stop driving. PT and OT at the clinic thought that was reasonable. When I can no longer drive, we are going to have the passenger seat removed and move the quick connect for the permobile into that space.

I am going to chime in here...feel free to reprimand me for my opinion. LOL Yup...Pearshoot was just writing in jest, but driving is probably the one thing that a lot of us will have difficulty giving up.

The ability to drive a car is not necessarily hampered by having ALS. For instance, I am bulbar onset and still have the use of both hands/arms/legs/feet, etc. My coordination/reflexes are checked every 90 days or less. I have very slight weakness in my left thumb/forefinger, but my ability to drive has not been affected, YET
So who's to say when to stop? I think it's being responsible for your own and others safety. Like drinking, most people know they can have a drink or two and still drive unimpeded but having three or more is reckless and dangerous. Okay, there are some who shouldn't drive after one, then again there are some that shouldn't drive ever! Of course with ALS it depends on what parts of your body are affected.

I go to the Veterans Hospital for my ALS clinic, feeding tube issues, etc. It's part of the Spinal Cord injury and disease department. In the parking lot there is about 20 spaces marked handicap for "hand control vehicles only". Individuals that have lost the use of one or both legs still driving with modifications.
If ALS affected a persons feet/legs then a vehicle with hand controls might be appropriate, the issue there is cost and training versus how long before arms/hands are affected.

The first thing my Dr asked me is, "are you still driving?", I said yes and he gave me an application for a handicapped parking placard. He then told me that "there will be a time when you will have to stop driving", to which I replied, yeah I know!

So we PALS are all different, different in progression, different as to what parts of our body is affected, and different as to personal abilities.

I would hope that anyone driving knows when it's time to say, here are my keys!

Just my 2 cents!

Joel

The time snuck up on me. Fall of 2010, I was still walking with a cane. Pulled out of the driveway and approached a stop sign three houses away. Couldn't move my foot from the gas to the brake. Had to use my left foot to stop. Had not had a problem the day before, but that was it, never drove again.

So sorry. Driving = independence. Such a great loss

I know it will be hard for you but giving up the car keys seems necessary for you at this point. My grandpa at one time told is to take away his keys when we thought it was time. We did but promised someone in the family would be there to drive him anywhere he wants to go. We kept that promise and he adjusted in time. So sorry you have to be put in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back