Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
New York
City
Cedarhurst
When my toes curl, that's when I'm likely to fall. They'd been ok for a while but are starting again. Any suggestions?

When my toes curl, that's when I'm likely to fall. They'd been ok for a while but are starting again. Any suggestions?

If your toes on that foot are curling under it would correct to assume that you already have foot drop on that foot. Right?
Have you tried wearing an AFO (Ankle-foot orthosis) on that foot if you don't have one already? It would help rise your toes so you don't trip and fall on uneven surfaces such as carpets and it also gives support to your ankle so it doesn't twist as you walk.
I have one and it has really helped me with my curling toes problem.

Hope this helps.

NH

ROM for the toes

Yes it's the drop foot. Where do I get an AFO and can I wear it with shoes?

Range of motion

Doc can prescribe AFO'S. check with your insurance carrier for an approved provider of prosthetics

Yes, you can wear shoes but may need size adjustment.

Check out profile page of member, Rose. She has a photo of hers.

Roberta,

I had my AFO made at the ALS clinic. While the composite models are ultra thin, the technician did a great job with the plastic one he made for me. I chose a plastic with super wild colours, but you can get nude or white. I can buy the same shoe size, but provided the inner sole comes out. My favourite shoes are made by Finn Comfort. They are stylish, if that's still a consideration for you.

My AFO has helped me tremendously, and I've had no toe curling. I do have finger curling and I wear a splint at night. It's cumbersome, but I got used to it and it's doing the job!

have some curling but frequently do finger range of motion and its helping. have hand splint but can still manipulate covers so haven't started using it yet. may be in near future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back