Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
New York
City
Cedarhurst
I'm ready to purchase a chair that can lift me. Is there something I should specially be looking for?

Mine is on order! None too soon, either.

Never did like the grandpa type big puffy chairs. I ordered a wall hugging, very sleek model ( woohoo - in red leather). It's manufactured by Palliser.

I test sat several chairs and made my choice based on:
comfort
total recline
power tilt
remote control
ejection component

oh and chicness 8) factor.

This model almost stands me up. Can't wait to get it! 12 weeks is a long time.

Last edited:
I'm ready to purchase a chair that can lift me. Is there something I should specially be looking for?

If you have officially been diagnosed with ALS, you may contact your Local Chapter of the ALS Association (ALSA) and they can loan you one of these chairs from their "Loaner Closet" which you can keep for as long as you need it.
That was the way I got mine.

I was going to give Ottawa Girl the same advice but I see she ordered one already.

NH

Thankful you found one with the " whoohoo" factor, it's all about style! Not there yet, but your info greatly appreciated. "I trust God that I am exactly where I am meant to be." I know the peace that surpasses understanding gives me the assurance of your statement. He is our "strength"!

Kk

I read that you need to find a recliner lift chair thats fit to your size. I am in the process of looking for one here locally. I am told its take 4-6wk to receive my order. Hoping by next week to go and do a test ride of chairs and place my order. Can't wait! Good luck with recliner life chair shopping.

Elaine,
I like the chair, it looks so sleek! What is the name of the model? I looked on the website, but couldn't find the chair that "tilted" ya up. The big puffy ones aren't for me :)

Jodi

Elaine,
I like the chair, it looks so sleek! What is the name of the model? I looked on the website, but couldn't find the chair that "tilted" ya up. The big puffy ones aren't for me :)

Jodi

Hi Jodi,

Just found my order... Amid the moving boxes. The actual model I bought is called " modern theo". The picture on their site is deceiving. The actual chair I tried is not puffy at all. Maybe there's a store in your area that has a floor model. We bought two - and they will fit nicely in our very small TV room. ( can't wait to get rid of the lawn chairs - which are a challenge to get out of!). And they only require 2" clearance from wall - in full recline position.

Last edited:
I ended up buying mine at a medical supply house. I had to buy one especially made for people with really long legs. I just walked in and said what you have for basketball players? Not the most gorgeous thing, but I do agree that sitting in it is the only way to really know.
Hollister

I use the one my mother had for a decade or so.. Nice simple cloth with plenty of forward lift.. I only wish it had some sort of padding at the top to help keep my head straight.

I actually did a test sit on3 different types of chairs and found the "Pride" model for petite size (5'2" below) picked out the color/material. They actually had 6-9 different model & price. It will take 4-6wk for shipment. I myself do not like the bulky type too. Can't Wait! :)

@ polar... I use a neck pillow to help keep my head straight. :)

Thanks for the information. It's a nice looking chair.

Jodi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back