Diagnosis
02/2009
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Plano
After 2 sleep studies I have to schedule another one because the BiPAP made it worse. The next one is a month out and planning on an adaptive BiPAP. I would have thought that would be the first route. Numbers all over the place but it boils down to no sleeping on my back for the rest of my life. FVC 19 and almost no rem sleep, O2 was 72. :confused:

Eddie, I wouldn't accept this "no sleeping on your back" if that is your preferred position, given that your muscular condition is likely to decline further. A hospital bed that can adjust the angle of your head alone and/or your back, coupled with the right machine and settings, is more to the point. I can't imagine a reputable sleep lab that wouldn't have had you on an adaptive algorithm so if your perception is correct I'd find another lab.

But more broadly, you may have one or more conditions that keeps you from going through all your usual sleep stages (REM is stage 5 and I'm willing to bet you were also short on stages 3/4, slow wave sleep) during a sleep study, so whatever machine you get should write all the data to a card or display you can read to adjust the settings yourself as your needs dictate. You will likely also need a machine that adjusts throughout the night, like AVAPS or iVAPs or (if periodic breathing/central apnea are prominent) SV.

You can find a list of licensed sleep labs in your area on the Web. The output I got was 21 labs within 24 miles of Plano.

Thank you for your response.

after reading your posts i decided to try some things after going to bed. i can still turn over so sleep on both sides and back. last clinic visit fvc 87%, by doing stacking air exercise. when laying on my side i could easily stack air and easily exhale with force. when laying on my back it was difficult to stack air and exhaling was not nearly as forceful. elevating the bed i was able to return to resultss being on my side. so maybe it is unwise to sleep flat on back

I have to agree who those that have suggested a hospital bed with adjustable positions for the head. It would be better for you and would make your sleep easier.
I got one of these beds at home loaned by our local chapter of ALSA.

NH

my adjustible is queen size. this gives me room to flop around and adjust covers. don't think i could do this on hospital bed. still able to get in and out. bad part wife and i now sleep in separate beds, hard to give up after almost 58 years but i no longer disturb her sleep as i must turn over every two hours to releive pain in hip

You can get a hospital type bed in any size. I just Googled and saw a 60x88. Some may be classified as bariatric but that does not have to be the case.

You want a bed that is height adjustable (for caregiving and placing a lift underneath), adjusts the head, adjusts the foot, has the Trendelenburg and reverse Trendelenburg options (the adjustment of the back, which besides comfort and breathing can facilitate sling placement/removal).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back