Diagnosis
07/2011
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Ottawa
Now and again, I get a tickling sensation in my throat when I talk too much. I can usually get rid of the itch by drinking cold water or by doing "a-hum".*

Recently, if I can't control the tickle, it feels like my throat muscles contract for just a couple of seconds and I can't seem to get any air exchange. When this happens, I try to relax as much as possible and I've tried breathing through my nose instead but can't because it is running like a faucet.*

I am assuming that this caused by a spasm or because my throat muscles are weakening. Well, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Now and again, I get a tickling sensation in my throat when I talk too much. I can usually get rid of the itch by drinking cold water or by doing "a-hum".*

Recently, if I can't control the tickle, it feels like my throat muscles contract for just a couple of seconds and I can't seem to get any air exchange. When this happens, I try to relax as much as possible and I've tried breathing through my nose instead but can't because it is running like a faucet.*

I am assuming that this caused by a spasm or because my throat muscles are weakening. Well, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Dear Cricket,

I know what you mean when you say: "it feels like my throat muscles contract for just a couple of seconds and I can't seem to get any air exchange".

It's called "Laryngospasm" and it typically lasts less than 60 seconds, and causes a partial blocking of breathing in, while breathing out remains easier. It may be triggered when the vocal cords or the area of the trachea below the cords detects the entry of water, mucus, blood, dust, or other substance.

For the people that are suffering it or experiencing it is really scary because, while you are having it, you think you are chocking and are going to die.
Some people just pass out while having these episodes.
Though laryngospasm can be frightening, the vocal cords eventually relax without causing serious problems. Laryngospasms can occur during the day while you are awake or at night while the you are sleeping. Though it can be scary while it's happening, laryngospasm typically lasts less than 60 seconds.

About the "tickle in the throat", I have experience this in the past, while I was still healthy but it was very minor.
Now, with Bulbar ALS, this thing has grown exponentially. I experience it whenever I eat something that is SALTY. When the offending salty food starts going down my throat, it triggers like a "tickle" in the throat than in turn triggers a lot of coughing and I can't really continue eating the food because the coughing is so intense that interferes with my eating. I cannot explain why it happens but it's only triggered by salty foods so, my CALS have been forced to eliminate salt from my cooked food.
During my next visit to the Clinic I plan to discuss this issue with my Neuro to explore alternatives or some medication to keep this bothering problem under control.

Take care.

NH

Very helpful, thanks Nighthawk!

You are welcome, Cricket.

Take care.

NH

Cricket, any allergies? Could the tickle be from post nasal drip?

Hi momap53
Thanks! Good thinking... No allergies and no asthma and fully hydrated. I did have a sore throat a couple of weeks ago but it never developed into a cold so didn't think much of it. Really limited my talking and haven't had any issues since. No worries. I'll find out what's up this week. My turn at the ALS Clinic.*

NH....I have a question about this spasm of the larynx that you and others have mentioned. When I first wake up in the morning, I have an opposite reaction. I can breathe in okay but exhaling I moan or groan and it is uncontrollable for the first few minutes and then as I start to "wake up" it goes away. It's inhaling and then unable to exhale momentarily and then exhaling with this strange groaning sound.
Is this a type of spasm too? It seemed to start last fall after my surgery, perhaps when they intubated me it affected something...pure speculation but it's my only connection to when it started.

The only term online I could find that comes close is Catathrenia, but that condition usually occurs while sleeping.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone else has had this symptom.

@Jellis86,

I haven't experienced what you are describing myself, so I cannot comment on it because I don't want to misinform you or give you wrong advice.

Have you checked at the ALS Clinic where you attend to with your Pulmonologist?
He/she might be able to sort it out.
You could also make an appointment with an Otolaryngologist and have you checked for throat problems.

Take care.

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back