Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Bolton
If so, what dose? Any other thoughts on it? Partner been prescribed 5ml via PEG, but I feel dose too high as he sleeps like unconscious. Late stage ALS, very limited function and on NIV 24/7. Dani

Dani- how long has he been on it? If he just started recently, there is a good chance the effects will lesson after a bit. Its pretty common for people to be "knocked out" by it for awhile.
Just curious- Why is it bad for him to be in a very deep sleep?

Hi Dani
What is the dose in milligrams? The liquid here is 2 mg per ml. 5 ml would be 10 mg which is very high. Did he start lower and work up? Is your concentration different?
Take care
Nikki

I think 5mg per ml, will check. Liz, it just feels strange to be in that state, he too is worried about being so knocked out. Only took it 3 times. I gave half dose last night, which could have been 5mg if mg/ml ratio is correct. No wonder he was in total darkness if he was given 10mg. He never took any similar meds and no slow build up. Seems excessive to me. D

Oh ignore my mg/ml bit, I'm confused. D

Hi Dani
How much in milligrams is he taking?
Most people start on .5 mg maybe 1mg. I have seen up to 2 mg but not in starting dose. 5 or 10 mg sounds way too much. Please check with the doctor!

Nikki, the bottle label reads '150 ml lorazepam 1mg/5ml oral soln one 5ml spoonful at night when required...' I gave 2.5 ml (he wanted that much) through peg. Dani

Oh thank goodness! That is a normal dose and half sounds very smart hope you can find the right balance
Love
Nikki

Does this mean he has taken 1 mg? I have just read this drug is ten times as potent as Valium. I will
chat to him about this. D

If the the concentration is 1mg/5ml and he took five milliliter( 5 ml) yes that is 1 milligram and the 2.5 ml is half a milligram. As I said those are normal doses. I do have patients who take a quarter of a milligram with effect if they are very sensitive. I hope he can get relaxation and rest without being too sedated

Best wishes
Nikki

Relief! Thanks for explaining. L has never been a bad sleeper, this entire thing came round as a result of breathlessness and associated anxiety. He had a tough week and I understand him wanting some rest, but at the same time I feel he can still manage without sedation. I need it, after the day I had! : ) x

Dani I am sorry how things are going for Lawrence. Another nurse chipping in here--1mg of Ativan is a pretty low dose,, but as Nikki says people are so different in how sedated they become with a drug. Lots of people get relief of anxiety with just .5 mg (half of the dose you gave initially). From having working with palliative care patients, please give him some of he requests it (the lower the dose the better right now). It is hard for families to see their loved ones sedated, but if he has reached that place where he feels he needs that sedation it is his right to have it. The reality of what is going on for him right now might be more than he wants to or can handle. I suspect he is in the phase where he wants to dream pleasant dreams and escape the harsh reality. Very hard for you, but an act of kindness for your husband. Sending you a big hug Dani.

Laurel
PS I am not trying to be bossy Dani. It's just that when we are in the middle of such awful stress and heart break, it can be very hard to see clearly. Whatever you do is done with love and I know that. I have been in your shoes when my parents were dying, and that does not compare with what you are going through with the love of your life.

Last edited:
Thanks Laurel, and do not worry about being bossy. Sedation is something L has discussed with me and his medical team, and he wants it at the very end of his life. Even then, I feel it will be very hard for me to accept this, but I would respect his wishes and see it as an act of kindness. Since my last post he has decided to try to go through the night without Ativan, and he has slept and was fairly comfortable. It is there if/when he needs it, I just felt this was given in my absence ( I was away for one week) to keep him calm, and to make his carers' nights more manageable, rather then because he felt he needed it night after night and asked for it.
Dani

I'm glad your not upset with me Dani. You make good points about carers too frequently resorting to sedation so it is easier for them. Our nursing homes here in Canada are filled up with seniors who are over medicated as the facilities can't afford enough staff to care for the patients. I have long said to my friends that each patient needs a strong advocate to monitor treatment in this day and age. And you are the best and strongest advocate for Laurence from what you have written over the years. All the best to you, Laurence and wee Stan.

Laurel

My mom is being prescribed Ativan. I have not had the chance to ask the dr yet but I'm wondering is it critical that she use the Trilogy when she is sleeping if she's on Ativan? Does she have an increased chance of stopping breathing while sleeping if she is not on the Trilogy? She has not gotten a mask that she likes yet so she doesn't use the Trilogy at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back