Diagnosis
04/2012
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Ottawa
So, tomorrow marks one year. Diagnosed, April 5th, 2012 @ 3:30pm.

My world, and my life changed that sunny afternoon. Holy Thursday, it was. I held my husband while he sobbed. I had never seen him cry before. I wasn't much of a crier either. No reason to cry. In fact, our life together was magical, certain, secure and happy. So few sad times. We are blessed with healthy and robust 90 year old parents, lots of siblings and great nieces & nephews. A wonderful circle of friends. A bad day was a delayed flight or a traffic jam, or missing my time goal in a marathon or a bad golf game or a lousy restaurant.

How lucky are we? Serious illness had never touched our family.

Turns out, these past 365 days have been extraordinary in so many unexpected ways. We've been supported and uplifted. Strangers became friends, and friends became family. We eventually stopped crying. Most of the time, anyway. We generally cry tears of joy these days. When a loving note arrives in the mail, or a pot of soup is left at our door. Kindness and open hearts bring tears to the surface. Sweet tears, not stinging tears.

This time, last year, I could never have imagined getting through this ALS thing. Not for a day let alone an entire year. It was surreal. Oh how I wanted and prayed for my old life. My real life. I wanted to awaken from this nightmare. It couldn't be ALS.

But it was. And it is.

To my friends here, in this place, thank you! You are my lifeline. My mentors. My inspiration. My compass. My jokers. I am especially grateful for having met many of you in person. That is the most amazing of all. Divine intervention, to be sure. I miss those friends who are no longer: Sharon, Rog, Doris, Bruce, Tom...

It would be a lie to say that I'm not scared of the year ahead. I am petrified. A new city. A new home. A new adjustment. A new normal.

I know, in my heart, it will be OK. Whatever "it" may be.
Thanks to each of you. My brave PALS and my wise CALS.

Here's to the next 365 days.

Ahh Girl, that's so brave! You are also an inspiration to everyone lucky enough to 'know' you. Thanks for all the advice and support you've shown to me. I know you will make the best of every situation.

Kudos to you Elaine!

Elaine that was beautiful. You are a valiant woman and a true inspiration!
Thank you
Nikki

You have been an inspiration to so.
MANY including me. You are truly a breath of fresh air here.
Here's to many more also friend via the Internet!

To this 365, and the next 365 and the next 365, you see where I am going. I have no doubt. You are strong, witty and very intelligent. You are a true inspiration and testament for of us here.

Cheers to you, elegant lady. You are an inspiration. Thanks for being our "shining light".

To the next 365! May we live it the way we have lived this last 365! Love you.

Thanks for your refreshing and encouraging point of view, Elaine. I needed to hear a perspective like that this morning! Isn't it the truth that we remember the exact date and time of receiving the diagnosis?

I needed your inspiration this morning and thanks for the wise words

What a difference a year can make, eh? Your attitude and outlook is fantastic! You manage to be positive and resolute but also realistic. You acknowledge it is awful and sad. You seem to have a "healthy" dealing with it thus far and that is very commendable. You can express sadness that isn't despair or depression. Anger that isn't bitterness. And that you've moved on to the next stage of your LIFE. Good for you!

Jamie

love u Elaine. thank u for ur words, wit and wisdom

What would we do without our beautiful Elaine? I wish it weren't true too Sweets. I love you! <3

Elaine, the main thing that makes it all bearable is becoming friends with people like you... hugs, and may we all be here celebrating 365 more days next year and the year after!

You are very special Elaine. Your wise and thoughtful words have made the load lighter for so many of us. You are truly an inspiration. Love you girl. Sherry

Love you, Elaine. You are a beautiful lady with a kind and generous soul. You offer your love, support, guidance and wisdom to so many people, both here and in your private life. I am so fortunate to have met you in person. I will always have you and so many others in my heart. I will be sure to toast your new home, your new town and the next 365 days, with a glass (or two) of wine this evening. Sending you warm thoughts. Yasmin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back