Diagnosis
04/2012
Country
US
State
TN
City
Nashville
I began having problems with my left foot March 2011 and initial diagnosis ran that it was related to diabetes type II, which I had left behind In Sept 2003 after losing 200lbs. I thought the two neuros I saw from June 2011 till March 2012 were wrong about that as it didn't make sense. I figured I had some MS disease with ALS being a possibility. My diaphram stopped working around Dec 20th 2011 and I saw a neuro twice about that and problems breathing when lying down. He suggested a possibility of it being ALS but did nothing other than yet another EMG. All my EMG's thru Jan 2012 only showed that signals from the brain weren't making it to my left foot. In April 2012 after three nights of being unable to breath and sleep even sitting up I went to Vanderbilt Hospital ER at 6AM on a Monday morning. They took it serious and an ALS nero, my Dr today, ran another EMG and found my body was finally showing ALS problems in the nerves. I stayed in the hospital for four days, using a BIPAP to sleep (wonderful!) and was released on Friday morning after my health insurance approved and delivered a BIPAP to my home.

But, I think the ALS started a little earlier. During the spring of 2009, I began to have a problem with sense of balance. When walking to meetings with coworkers to other buildings I found that I couldn't walk in a straight line. It reminded me of my Navy days aboard aircraft carriers at sea during heavy storms. When friends and I walked side by side down the hanger bay or flight deck, we would, together, drift the the right for several steps and then drift to the left for several steps as the ship slowly rolled right to left. My sense of balance continued to worsen over time until for example the fall of 2011 I couldn't simply stand in front of the sink and shave without keeping a hand on the counter so I wouldn't fall over.

So that's why this is probably the beginning of year four not three. Not that it really matters! :smile:

No matter. I am fortunate to be retired now and enjoy each day. I just learned from my old coworkers of a lot of worry and drama I would be involved in if I were still working as another company is being hired to replace all the IT positions. Those poor people are being interviewed and the new company will decide who, if anyone, they will keep. So see, ALS was a blessing! ;-)

Anywho, I'm doing well. Left leg is about like having a skin tag, ha, as it's useless now. Right foot drop now and leg is about gone. A few more months but hey, I have a PWC and walking is for the ambitious!. I'm just relaxed and happy still able to get out of the house and go shopping with the wife and to restaurants. Fingers aren't what they were function wise from six months ago but I've made changes to my computer mouse (got a "Handshoe mouse") that still lets me play computer games and first person shooting games. I also read a lot and am happy that I got free ebooks from one of my favorite SF publishers, Baen Books, because of my disability.

Life can be a challenge for everyone, whether disabled or not. I believe the only disability is a bad attitude.

And, as my wife taught my children (now in their late 30's) and the grandkids, "You get what you get, and don't pitch a fit.

Anger over ALS isn't for me. Mornings with coffee and a cigar are. A six pack of beer or several drinks of Uncle Jack Daniel over the weekend are relaxing too. Enjoying all the noise, fights, drama, and love when the grandkids are over is wonderful too.

I have today. Maybe I will wake up tomorrow. If I do, I'm going to enjoy the day, again, as if it were my last. I hope and pray you do too!

Hugs

That was great, Syekick! How could anyone not like that attitude?!:smile:

Thanks, Syekick, for your motivational post. Wow, how I identify with your early "balance" experiences. How about shampooing in the shower and closing your eyes in the process ? ? What a trip ! ! !

Wow! I woke up with a snarl on my face, which has now been replaced with a smile after reading this. Thanks to you, Joe!

great attitude, I am hoping I can exhibit the same as I begin my travels down this not so fun road...

I remember when I was walking at odd angles too! Thanks for the great post, I started symptoms in late 2009 as well.

I have and will always love your humor and attitude.

Great post thanks!

Thanks everyone. I hope and pray all of you have a fun filled great day! I sure will.

Joe, you are a gem. Thank you for making my day brighter! sherry

Uplifting post! Thanks Syekick :)

looking forward to finishing year four so i can look at fourth card in my poker hand (playing the cards dealt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back