Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
Iowa
City
Birmingham
I'm told that because I live in a rural area that I may not be able to take advantage of invasive type ventilators? Supposedly because the companies don't want to service them?

I respect that some PAL's don't wish to extend life with this option but I'd sure like to have the option when I need it? It's no problem in urban areas of course but just curious if anyone has any information on this subject? I sent a request for info on Trilogy 100 which if I understand correctly can be used for both noninvasive and invasive ventilation.

University of Iowa ALS Clinic signed up to begin putting diaphram pacers in but eventually one will still need invasive ventilation so just inquiring long (I hope) before I need it....

I don't see any validity in that. Google [search by distance] the closest DME firm that handles vents, that is on your health plan or Medicare. Call them and ascertain that they serve your neck of the woods (pun intended).

Also, something like a Trilogy should not require frequent service, just a setup visit. You/your caregiver(s) should learn how to adjust the settings (with the collaboration of your doc).

I'd contact the med distribution folks in the largest city and ask! It's not like people can't drive to you when or if the time comes. Be sure you also look into a PEG before it's needed if you're going that route as it's best to have that procedure before your breathing gets too bad.

I used to live in Iowa-=how far are you from a major metro area?

About an 75 minute drive SE of Iowa City area, expressway to within 10 miles of our home. Hope to find out more after we meet with UI ALS clinic next week, so far finding a home health care/respiratory therapist to service it seems to be the problem.

i've had pts go home with ventts with only a 15 yr old at home and we r fairly rural area. you might have to fight a bit so b prepared, have a generator in place that can run it, read up on them and have your cals read also. then you will b ready, don't pose it as a question but a plan to put in place

Good advice marypat...thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back