Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
MA
City
Grafton
Hi everyone. Does anyone know of a good medication for fatigue? I'm on Rilutek now as well with no side effects. Any input would be great. THANKS!

I take 60mg of mestinon 3 times a day for my fati gue. It was originaly developed for mg, but my neuro said some people benifit from it. It has helped, I will never be what I was but anything is better than the fati gue I was suffering before.

It is very expensive, but VA covers it. Modafinil, aka Provigil.

I second the Mestinon. I take 1/2 tablet after each meal and it has made a huge difference for me. Plus it is generic and cheap . Just don't take it on an empty stomach .

Thank you all.

Cheryl,

I was sooooo fatigued and found myself sleeping way too much. I wasn't certain if it was depression or the ALS, because I have never had either conditions. I started Wellbutrin in mid December and my energy level is way up. It was explained to me that this anti depressant is a mood elevator, but also has an energizing component. My mood is the same as it was before, and it's usually pretty good. It takes a month or so to kick in.

Don't get me wrong, some days I still nap, but far less than I used to.

Good timing on this thread, I 'fe been so tired lately...

For me it's all about nap(s). I take an afternoon 1-3 PM nap daily. On occasion I feel tired in the mornings (I get up at 6:30) and I nap from 10-11. That's all I need to do to take care of fatigue. Well, that and use the BIPAP nightly and during the daytime if I find myself yawning. I've learned that yawning with my poor breathing is my body telling me, " CO2 is building up in the lungs causing fatigue, use the
BIPAP you idiot!" I take it's word for it and that solves the fatigue too.

For causes of fatigue you should check with either your GP or your ALS Clinic so they can determine what is really causing it and take a course of action.

Fatigue might also be caused by breathing issues which should be addressed as quickly as possible, specially with ALS.

HTH

bad balance - i'm with you...coffee and i are best friends

I agree with the coffee! Thanks. I meet with my team next week and will ask them. Till then, bottoms up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back