Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
St. Louis
Any advice on getting into the front passenger seat of a small SUV? I have left sided weakness. Until recently, I didn’t have a problem getting into the car. I simply backed in and sat down, sort of the reverse of getting out.

I use a walker, but now my left arm has gotten so weak that I can’t pull myself into the car upright. My wife tries to put my legs into the car, but the weak side goes in first, so I’m slumped in the seat and there doesn’t seem to be quite enough room for my legs. When I finally get my strong leg inside and my strong arm on the strap above the doorway, I push-pull myself upright.

Entering into the rear driver side would reverse the order of strong-weak side, but I’m too clumsy for the narrow doorway.

Any ideas about what works or doesn’t work?

Bob

What about a lifter seat? I am looking at putting one in my F-150. Perhaps there is one that will fit your car?

I wish I had a better suggestion. I will soon be facing a similar challenge.

try a transfer board--and have your wife think of it as a daily workout!

We used a small step ladder.

They make swivel seats for a car

A step ladder is a good idea. Unfortunately, I can't climb a step anymore.

Maybe something like a version of the lift seat (seat assist) rmcbride mentioned that was "flat" and raised up maybe the height of one step worth. Don't think that exists.

I will look into transfer boards, although I am unsure how to employ that from a standing position without a second anchor point.

Otherwise, we could deflate all the tires and reinflate after I get in. Yeah, that's it! ;-)

We used a small step ladder.

Bob, the transfer boards are used from one seat to another.
Are you nearing the time for a PWC? If so, make sure to get the elevate feature. That might make the transfers a bit easier.
We have a sedan and I haven't been able to get in and out of it since last June. We have a transport company in our area that has a PWC accessible van so we use them or rent one for a few days.

i have been looking at vehicles that have a rotate seat... front seat rotates around to face the car door entrance... i dont need one yet but all is getting difficult...sounds like im a similar stage to you - also left side worse than right - be very careful getting out of passengers seat onto curb side - i fell on too pavement one day -it was the curb that got my footing mixed up - goodness knows how... it all happened very quickly .... and never a curb fall again as i am careful. SUV seats can be helpful for me cos the higher - but is you seat too high to get up too?

i don't know if this will help but it might give u leverage to move some. i use my right foot in the door jamb to try and position but if its cloth seats it doesn't help.
this goes in the latch catch on the door post. it's around 20 bucks

Attachments

• 31shmP8yWVL__SX355_.jpg
    31shmP8yWVL__SX355_.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 274
I've been considering a power wc. My left arm is nearly gone, so I can no longer push the wheel on that side of the manual chair. Funny that I took operating the manual wc for granted just 2 months ago when I could get around with a cane.

Bob, the transfer boards are used from one seat to another.
Are you nearing the time for a PWC? If so, make sure to get the elevate feature. That might make the transfers a bit easier.
We have a sedan and I haven't been able to get in and out of it since last June. We have a transport company in our area that has a PWC accessible van so we use them or rent one for a few days.

I seem to perch on the edge of the seat. Today, I grabbed the outside roof luggage rail with my strong arm until my wife got my legs in the car. That worked one out of two tries. I think maybe I was misaligned with the seat the second time, or the 25 degree weather and stiff wind took its toll.

i have been looking at vehicles that have a rotate seat... front seat rotates around to face the car door entrance... i dont need one yet but all is getting difficult...sounds like im a similar stage to you - also left side worse than right - be very careful getting out of passengers seat onto curb side - i fell on too pavement one day -it was the curb that got my footing mixed up - goodness knows how... it all happened very quickly .... and never a curb fall again as i am careful. SUV seats can be helpful for me cos the higher - but is you seat too high to get up too?

Thanks. I have one of those but haven't quite figured out the best strategy for it. It does give me a handle to help me turn around so I can back into the seat, which is otherwise tricky with one very clumsy leg.

i don't know if this will help but it might give u leverage to move some. i use my right foot in the door jamb to try and position but if its cloth seats it doesn't help.
this goes in the latch catch on the door post. it's around 20 bucks

My Mother past away from ALS on January 10th. She last left her house to go to church with me around September. I used a garbage bag a few times and this made it very easy for the both of us. Just place the bag on the seat let her sit down on it with her feet either still on the ground or one foot inside the car with the other one outside then just lift he leg and spin her the whole way into the car. The back will slip with her sitting on it.

Something as easy as this will make life easier good luck!

I backed onto the car seat as usual, then my wife shoved a wooden box under my feet, and I pushed further back on the seat. This left more room to get my legs in the car. This was just a test. We need a box that fits in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back