Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Kansas
City
Wichita
Lately the left side of my jaw occasionally gets a catch in it and I have to "uncatch" it so I can shut my mouth. Is this part of the als?

Haven't heard of that (with ALS) but perhaps others have? Sounds more like TMJ or some such?

My husband's jaw is getting weaker and he has similar issues. It is the muscles around the TM joint.

Thanks for replying. I was hoping it was nothing. I guess I hope that with every symptom. I thought I had totally accepted it but I find myself wishing for something else.

i almost have the very same questions about my jaw. Just within the last few weeks i have been noticing a bit of ache in my jaw. i work part time in a call center so i talk alot. I dont know if this is part of the whole ALS thing or i just talk to much lol. It seems i notice subtle changes on a weekly basis. my legs and arms are getting weaker and next week i have a powered wheel chair coming. Everything seems to be progressing faster than i thought it would.

Yes, I get the same thing with my jaw.

Even though i have pls/umn i can relate to your jaw issues.
Since it spread to bulbar region about 5-6yrs ago i have had many problems.
My jaw on right side tends to spasm,jaw will go stiff then slam shut suddenly........more distressing but can be painful if you catch your tongue.
A year ago i had a spasm during the night that resulted in a cracked lower molar on right side,was in pain with jaw spasms for months and doped up on meds.
I went to dentist about tooth and they did quite alot of xray scans of jaw,said tmj area looked good and it was to do with spasms .......i said i did find i had pain around tmj area but they said it was reffered pain.
My gp has said i could have botox injections but they can cause long term complications.
Also get spasms and weakness in lower facial muscles and have difficulty eating,i have to keep stopping as it can be painful and tiring.

Wattif,i totally understand....it was a big blow when i started with the bulbar issues.

My husband had so much pain in his jaw that he thought he had a cavity. very long visit to a very kind and patient dentist discovered no cavity but very tight jaw probably pain from clenching/spasms. he can not open his mouth wide enough for a big spoonful and the clenching has made his teeth crooked (clench is off center).

Sorry for your pain...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back