Diagnosis
01/2012
Country
US
State
west
City
mid
I am hoping someone here can help with a dental issue I'm having. Although if you can help I'm sorry you've gone through this difficulty. I am in the middle of 2 root canals (as the result of a fall I had) and my teeth continue to ache but no infection can be found on the x-rays. I've had the nerves removed from the teeth so they should not hurt. I've had 2 rounds of antibiotics as well as a 'vitapak' (a different antibiotic) inserted in my teeth where the nerve used to be so antibiotics could be working 'from the inside out' as well as taking some antibiotics by mouth.

Surely I'm not the only pals to have been lucky enough to fall on my teeth :). Has anyone out there experienced this difficulty with pain continuing during a root canal? We can't finish the root canals until the pain problem is resolved.

Hey Mich-- My husband did not have a root canal, but he did have terrible pain in his teeth so I took him tothe dentist. turns out it was actually his jaw was so tightly clenched that it was causing tooth pain. He thought he had a cavity it was so bad.

Thanks, Barbie. Just got back from the dentist and he asked me if I was clenching my jaw while sleeping or grinding my teeth so he is at least thinking of that. However, I'm already wearing a mouth guard as I had knocked my 2 front teeth loose in the fall and we need them to set. If this pain continues he may have me use an OTC mouth guard while sleeping and see if that helps.

So, he did not see an infection yet again on the x-ray (how many x-rays can I have before I should start worrying about them!) :) today he opened my tooth back up and 'went in' as he thought he may have left part of a nerve in there. Well, I agree as he went in there w/o anesthesia and it certainly felt like he found a nerve or two in there.

So, thanks to anyone who may still have suggestions. My tooth still hurts now and if the pain doesn't go away by thurs (my next appt) we'll have to try something else. I'm going thru a lot of Xanax with all these dental appts . . . :)

I feel your pain. I have had 2 root canals in a month, but most of my dental work was put in in the late 60s so it is probably just plain worn out. Nothing extreme in the pain, except maybe the wallet. Understand the anxiety about dental work, but I'm lucky that the dentist is a close friend. I go to an endodontist for the root canals because of their microscopes and high-tech equipment. I know I've got at least one more. I have to age at this rate with ALS I mean couldn't it be one of the other!

You have pain and he didn't use anesthetic? Why? Maybe it's a new dentist you need!

Is it possible some of the pain is coming from sinuses, though? I get horrible mouth tooth pain when my sinuses are bad, and from my ears, believe it or not.

I'll pay attention to the sinus issue. I haven't been taking my cla ri tin lately . . . Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back