05/2012
Country
CA
State
NS
City
Glace Bay
Hello Everybody:

I am looking for some type of reading material that describes ways to deal with adversity and provides coping mechanisms and strategies. I thought the book "Why Bad Things Happen To Good People" but after reading reviews I don't believe this is exactly what I am looking for.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments I would love to hear them.

Thank you in advance,
Your PAL,
Darryl

Thank you Sadiemae, I actually have the book (and the movie) The Secret. Not to over simplify the "law of attraction", but I take it to mean what hold in your mind you attract to yourself. Maybe I haven't considered all possibilities but I'm not sure how using that principle can assist with dealing (mentally) with adversity. If you have used this method to accomplish what I am hoping to do can you provide any guidance or suggestions?
Thank you for your response, I'm intrigued but am not sure how to progress past this point.
Darryl

Hi Darryl,
Three books I've found worthwhile;:
No Death, No Fear. by Thich Naht Hanh
Enjoy Every Sandwich. by Lee Lipsenthal
Awakening Joy. by James Baraz

Different books work for different folks-- good luck!
Sue

Thank you for that information Sue, will look into each of those.
Darryl

Let us know what you think, or if you find other books you recommend!

Hi Darryl, I'd like to also recommend the "Happiness Now" thread here
on this forum, it is filled with quotes from very inspirational writers
and I have found many new writers that I enjoy from it.

I've no book to recommend. Only a philosophy.

"You get what you get and you don't pitch a fit."

My wife taught my children, now in their near 40's and me that idea.

For this situation, it works for me. Everyday is a great day! :grin:

Thanks for the responses folks, I've seen the thread "happiness now" but assumed it was referring to something completely different.
Darryl

dbach,
Now this is going to sound morbid, but I recommend a book by Erwin Lutzer titled One Minute After You Die. If you're looking for answers as to why this (ALS) happens... I don't think that book exists yet! If, instead, you're looking for ways to put it in perspective and ways to help you deal with it, Lutzer's book does that.
In terms of coping with this adversity, I look at it this way (and keep in mind that the progession of this disease scares the mess out of me):
I have no idea why all the good things happened to me over the last 50 years... best wife ever, four great kids, amazing military career, travel all over the world, etc. So it doesn't surprise me that I have no idea "why ALS" after all the good.
I don't remember ever asking God "Why me?" when things were good, so it would be more than a little selfish to ask Him that question now. So I don't ask and instead I choose to die "slowly and with great resistance!"

In any case, I hope you find the book(s) and answer(s) you are looking for.

Dbach, the book 'on death and dying' by dr. Elisabeth kubler-Ross was recommended to me. I have not read it but hope to this winter while i'm shut in on blustery days. It discusses dying and how it is faced by patients, families, and the medical professionals responsible for their care. Info in the book is also applicable to understanding and deling with the emotional reactions to chronic illness.

Another one recommended was 'dying well' by Ira block m.d. It provides a blueprint for families, showing them how to deal with doctors, how to talk to friends and relatives, and how to make the end of life as meaningful and precious as the beginning.

I'm currently reading Enjoy Every Sandwich, it's not a huge book so should have it finished soon. Some of these are hard to find digital copies of. Thank you to all the responded.
Darryl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back