Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
St. Catharines
Any advice from personal experience would be appreciated.

Spasticity is my worst enemy. Especially since winter is fast aproaching in the Great White North.

We are looking at purchasing either an adjustible bed with massage features, or a massage chair with massage and heat features.

I know I will need the adjustible bed in the future, but the chair is really cool and may benefit me more now while i'm still mobile.

Thanks for the help.

Casey

Casey, I'm a spaz too. I went the cheaper route on the bed and got the good old hospi tal style. No massage! But for added warmth; we have on every bed including mine, an electric mattress pad. Warms you from under. Much, much better than the electric blanket. I am thinking of getting another one and cutting the elasticized sides off and putting it in my chair. Just have to watch the cord when I roll.

My advice would be, get the chair for now, that is if you can hold off on the bed. Also, will your heal th care sys tem pay for an adjustable bed?

Hey, Casey, I don't know that this matters but before my diagnosis I had a massage and every nerve in my body fired in the worst possible way. So I guess my advice is to try to massage chair before you do it and make sure what happened to me was just a weird thing. Good luck dude!

Hey Casey we have actually had both...

We bought the chair first (dont remember the brand--probably from Brookstone) and he did love it but it really didn't "massage" . Endedup selling it because he could not get in or outof it as time passed and he progressed. we also bought afully adjustable temerpedic bed which has the massage mode too. really alot like the old magic fingers you could put a quarter in inthe old motels(jiggles and that is about it). We never use that mode.

we actually have a massage therapist come to the house every couple of weeks and give him a massage. Now that is awesome! He loves it and I am a llittle jealous! I think that is the best way to go IMHO.

Barbie, does in surance pay for the massages? I know massages done right make me feel great.

I wish it did toto! Originally we were given a gift of a weekly massage for a couple months and then we decided it was worth it to continue. I found a massage therapist who comes to the house and is reasonably priced. He like the massage much better than PT.

Terry had a low airflow bed with the massage feature. He had it set to massage every two minutes all night long. It was wonderful. During the day, he rotated PT and OT (each twice a week). He had a lift chair. As he lost mobility, we kept the lift sling under him, and I would adjust his position every hour or so. This, along with baclofen, kept his spacicity to a minimum.

I gotta say that I swear by my massage bed.vwhen my legs and back are in severe spasm mode, nothing else works short of a real massage, and when they are bad, getting in and out of a car just isn't an option for me.

You can always buy a massage pad for a chair. For me, I'd go for the adjusting massage bed, but bear in mind that my issues are 90% Umn, and complicated with spine issues, so I might not be a good sample to use as an opinion base.

Whatever you choose for a bed, be sure it has good flow and protects against pressure points to prevent pressure sores and room for a lift to get beneath it.

I had an airflow mattress add-on and it was very uncomfortable for me to use. Now, I just use a thick tempurpedic pad on top. I guess my air flow thing wasn't high enough quality or something, but it was miserable on my back.

Be careful with real massage...there are different types. Some are to release toxins, and if you don't move and drink enough, can make you really sick.

I loved gentle massage when I could afford it.

I am a massage therapist and a table is much better! I became a mt because my husband had ALS and that was a huge relief for him to get body work done. I was trained after he passed. A chair is the same price and would be difficult to use with increased disability. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back