Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Sandy Springs
Recently visited a VA Occupational Therapist for advice on my weakening arm/shoulder since I started having difficulty drying my hair (no problem holding the dryer with my left hand, but using the hair brush with my right hand is a problem). Some excellent stretching/range of motion exercised were recommended, plus use of a light-resistance theraband (red) was recommended for use on a every-other-day schedule. I am not certain the Occupational Therapist has worked with ALS patients. So, - - - any pros and/or cons on theraband use?

Bear in mind I have not been diagnosed with ALS, but with severe LMN issues in both arms.

I tried resistance bands on my own - and felt fine doing it. Two hours later, I had a bruise, four hours later, it was a lump, and the next day, it was a huge lump and a 5 inch bruise. I tore the muscle. Be very, very careful.

I'd been trying strengthening exercises on my arms for three weeks, and all I've noticed is more weakness in them. I'm sure a PAL will come along and answer. I just wanted to tone away a little flab and keep the upper arm strength I have in the right arm still. Left is useless nearly already from shoulder down.

I'm going to email my neuro and ask. But my pain doc told me to stop when he saw my arm.

My Neurologist only recommends range of motion exercises. If you exercise too hard you can speed up the deterioration of a failing muscle.

I'm with Pie!
My Neuro indicates strengthening just isn't gonna work, recommends the ROM to maintain flexibility and reduce pain from immobility.

I think someone on the beauty shop thread found a stand to place the blow dryer in

I ended up having my waist length hair cut way short becausemImjust couldn't take care of it. They even make dryers you can sit under for home use still, though.

Mine is nice and short and will finger comb now. Just what I needed.

There are some great you tube videos on ROM exercises. If Davidmwould approve it, I'd make ome and put it up here somewhere, as I taught them to all my students. Passive ROM should be done daily to he prevent comtractures, which can be very painful. Most people do not do them properly, including nursing home CNAs.

The thing to remember when doing them is to stop if there is pain. A good PT trained in MND can teach a caregiver proper technique, too.

Always watch the face for signs of discomfort if a PAL is locked in or cannot speak, too.

I was very lucky to work with the physical and occupational therapist that had worked with ALS patients. Theraband has some real benefits and depending on your own personal situation water aerobics can be very beneficial. I have no involvement in my diaphragm and minute neurologist agrees that it is continuing to strengthen it. Mine is distal and getting in and out of the bathing suit is a real pain but I work out with my girlfriend who distracts me and it's the only place I can still stand on my toes!

The muscle damage that is done on land is done by water called eccentric contractions. That is when you lower await against gravity or resistance as the muscle is lengthening micro tears occur which in normal people would build muscle. Of course in us it doesn't happen. The advantage of the water is that there are no eccentric contractions. If you pull your arm up the opposing muscle group pulls it back down and there is no gravity. You also have a greater range of motion in the water due to hydrostatic pressure. Sorry for all the science but before this hit me owes a certified personal trainer in aquatics. I've had this discussion with several neurologists and they've all agreed that if your diaphragm isn't distressed or you haven't paid to or other restrictions but the water is a good idea even if you just walk. Wear shoes and don't go too deep, no higher than the deep depth of your chest. I laughingly tell my neurologist that if I lose my balance all I'm going to get is wet and I certainly have enough body fat not to sink. Hope this information is helpful.

Bear in mind I have not been diagnosed with ALS, but with severe LMN issues in both arms....
Hi Not Me,
Not to derail the topic of this thread, but I notice your Forum Interest says you have "Something UMN". Did you mean to say "UMN" in your post above?

Thanks for all replies. I will hold off the theraband deal until my next visit to Emory.

We'll be anxious to hear what they have to say.
I liked Holly's post. Wish I could get in the pool but would need a hoist.

The video from the NEALS webinar on the Clinical Trial of Resistance and Endurance Exercise in ALS is now available at the NEALS's website.

Deb I'm sorry you're not here. My pool does have a lift. We also have a wheelchair ramp. I guess I'll just count my blessings. I found this pool after my lumbar fusion at a 4 foot deep pool wasn't enough water to take the weight off the spine. This pulls 5 feet and as a six footer that's just perfect.

Hi Not Me,
Not to derail the topic of this thread, but I notice your Forum Interest says you have "Something UMN". Did you mean to say "UMN" in your post above?

Yes, but my arms are atrophied, which is LMN Left arm is 90% atrophied away, right has lost several inches, and reflexes are gone in both arms.

Spasms and cramps are in all limbs, but clonus and spasticity are only in my legs, along with + Babinski and hyper reflexes, etc. in legs. Doc says she'll figure it out. She's treating it symptomatically with Baclofen and Valium for the spasticity, and a bi-pap for the crap FVC.

I was trying to help my arms by Strength training on my own. Not my brightest move.

I had neck surgery a year ago and was sent to physical therapy. I asked the therapist to give me some stretches for my neck and hips. They are using the red band. Also gave me some to help my hands. I didn't ask for some for my legs and now I wish I had.
When my hips start feeling weak I use the band exercise for them and they get better. The ones for my hands also seem to help.
Does anyone know of any for the legs and feet?

I use resistance bands to slowly and cautiously and carefully stretch my arms and legs. I sit or lay on bed and raise and lower my limbs. This has helped with stiffness and pain. I have mild atrophy and use a walker or sometimes power chair. My pt at ALS clinic says that this is ok for me. I walk in my pool during the summer. I hope that I can get in and out of my pool this coming summer if progression remains slow.
ALSA does suggest just ROM exercises, so ask your ALS PT to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back