Diagnosis
01/2010
Country
US
State
MARYLAND
City
SALISBURY
Although i'm new to this forum, i'm not new to this disease (als). I'm 2 1/2 years into my diagnosis and hoping to help others cope by sharing or just listening. Hopefully i can get help coping , as well. I'm 42 yrs old. I have a wife and 2 boys ages 8 and 10. I used to live a very active lifestyle, enjoying family activities from coaching my children's sports teams and traveling, as well as my own selfish indulgences like fishing and hunting. Like all of you, i was just a normal person , living a normal life until my world was suddenly yanked out from underneath me. We are all forced to deal with what's been laid in front of us. I'm just hoping to help someone else along the way. Thanks for allowing me to be part of your lives.

Hello and welcome!

Yes, I miss my old life too - BUT, I have found many silver linings also. Self-discovery for one. Rediscovery for another and especially my new cyber friends here. A life line for me. I hope we will continue to support one another for years to come.

Coping with this disease is all about adapting to the changes and finding a new normal. It will be easier if you have equipment before you need it. Get familiar with it. Get your children familiar with it. It will make the addition of new aids easier.

We are all here for you. Any question you have, ask. Someone here will probably have already crossed the bridges as you come upon them. There are many, many people here that want nothing more than to help make your life better.

Thanks... Already have a lot... Peg, power chair, accessible van, stair lift, hospital bed, accessible doorways and showers, dynavox w/ eyegaze. Most are being used regularly , some only for convenience . Am blessed to have the wife i do. She is also my cg. Boys are doing ok. Some days are better than others. I appreciate your response & look forward to chatting again.

Welcome to the forum and we welcme your contribution, too. It's amazing how much information I have found here and the support. The forum also helped me realize that we are never alone.

@ottawa girl...i have not found my silver linings , yet. But i continue to look. Maybe here? Thanks for responding. Look forward to chatting again. Take care for now.

ES, welcome. I'm originally from A.A.Co. My family still live there. My parents own a farm right outside Snow Hill, off Rt 12, Salisbury side. We have quite a few from MD here. Especially a wonderfully sweet lady; who loves to tease me about silver queen corn and of course the famous blue crabs, from Salisbury who's hubby has ALS. Hopefully she will see your post, and greet you.
Its also wonderful that you would like to give back to others. Thank you.

Welcome, I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago and I'am still trying to adjust.I guess we are members of an exclusive club Not willingly.

Yes, we're the forum family we'd all like to get kicked out of... welcome newbies, sorry you had to find us, but we are here for each other. Lots of great info, and we can always go to the Pub for good drinks and music.

Cj's mixing me a drink while we speak. Welcome all.

Welcome to our Forum family!

Welcome ES. does the ES stand for Eastern Shore? I was raised in Va.Beach, but my parents have always had a place on the Easten Shore of VA.
My mom tells a story of when I was 3months old and they had me in a boat fishing all day and. I was so content, mom says. They were clamming out around one of the barrier islands and sent a boat back to shore to warm a bottle for me.
No wonder I have to return every month or so to get my batteries charged. Now she has a place on the bayside with a sandbar close by. This past summer some of my family members helped me in the kayak and I paddle to the bar. It meant an lot to me.
The ALS forums that I use are a great source of comfort and information a to me. I get a lot out of helping others and using the info from others to make life a little bit easier.

welcome es. Does the es stand for eastern shore? I was raised in va.beach, but my parents have always had a place on the easten shore of va.
My mom tells a story of when i was 3months old and they had me in a boat fishing all day and. I was so content, mom says. They were clamming out around one of the barrier islands and sent a boat back to shore to warm a bottle for me.
No wonder i have to return every month or so to get my batteries charged. Now she has a place on the bayside with a sandbar close by. This past summer some of my family members helped me in the kayak and i paddle to the bar. It meant an lot to me.
The als forums that i use are a great source of comfort and information a to me. I get a lot out of helping others and using the info from others to make life a little bit easier.
@itbeauti... Yes, it is eastern shore... God's country. I grew up camping the woods and beaches on es, md as a child, but never gained full appreciation of my surroundings until my late teens. I started fishing the chesapeake and its sounds and tributaries , and going deeper into the woods and marshes to hunt and my perspective was greatly enhanced. Just a couple weeks ago my family and were able to spend the afternoon / evening fishing the tangier sound, near smith island. It took 5 guys to lift me off the dock and into the boat... Wheelchair and all! First time i'd been in a couple years. There's nothing like a chesapeake bay sunset!

Selfishly speaking i hope to be able to pick my spirits up instead of feeling stuck in this emotional hole i'm in now. But i know there are people out there i can help, too.

Take care& hope to talk soon.

Welcome, I'm newly diagnosed bulbar and am sure I will have many questions in the future. Your contributions will be greatly appreciated.

How long did it take for you to get diagnosed AzBabs?
I am finding it so frustrating to get to the bottom of what is wrong with me. What were your symptoms of Bulbar? Do you ever have any neck weakness, numbness of tongue and of course weakness in those areas, also swallowing problems which I understand is a common symptom. Sometimes it seems like talking is very much of an effort also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back