Diagnosis
04/2012
Country
US
State
TN
City
Nashville
I love crab legs but had not had any for months. Had an order as part of an entree today. I've lost so much hand strength that it was a tough battle to get the meat out. I used to hit the restaurants over the years that offered the all you can eat crab legs whenever I found them. I would eat pounds of the things. We would be there so long the wife had to bring a book! LOL. I snapped and cracked it all and didn't waste a morsel.

Today with hands and cracker pliers, I had to get teeth involved a time or two to tear them open. I enjoyed it but told the wife it was the last time I would try doing it myself. So in the future she gets stuck doing it! Not that I would force an all you can eat crab leg outing on her!

Oh well, things change. That's what life is all about. I'm not mad or sad about it. It's just part of life. It was a wonderful meal.

Enjoy everything you can while you can!

Eat what you can while you can and enjoy! Those danged motor neurons! Maybe you could ask the chef to at least crack them before serving? That way your wife would only have a little to do. Don't know if that is feasible, as some restaurants are very accommodating and others are not.

Syekick, I feel for you. I come from a county/state famous for its seafood. Best blue crabs ever. Rockfish oysters, I could go on but I won't. Also love the legs. More meat; less work. I; too, had to give up the wonderful crabs (both kinds). My husband and I would take the kids to a chinese buffet that served both kinds. And yes, we would sit there for hours eating bite after tasty bite. The kids could eat their fare share too! And if they tired of picking and eating, this wonderful establishment had tv for them.

I would check seafood we bs ites to see if they sell the meat. I know I can got the blue crab meat (and make into crab cakes) from up north shipped as well as the soft crabs. I hadn't looked for the king crab legs meat. But its worth a try.

I was raised on the water and go to visit my mom frequently who lives on the Chesapeake Bay. I have always put the crab pots out for her and the family would enjoy yummy blue crabs steamed. Now I cannot put the pots out anymore :( but I can still eat crabs so that is good if I can get someone else to bait the pots.

I cannot however eat Alaska King crab legs anymore :( I had the same experience the last time I went to the Chinese/American buffet. I tried the crackers and ripping at the with a fork. It took forever just to finally get a little out and i wasted so much. It was another depressing loss, but I did find a fish there that i love. It has some type of hollandaise type sauce on top of a whitefish. It was very easy to eat and tastes yummy.
Now I want some of that fish.

Beauti, small world. I'm from Anne Arundel County. Of course, I don't live there now.

I know where you are coming from. Had split lobster & crab last night. Worked so hard at it I had major finger, hand, & arm cramps during & after. Not sure I want to give up on that yummy stuff yet.

I peeled my shrimp and pulled the meat from many crab legs for my husband after he lost the use of his hands! Your wife won't mind. In the scheme of caregiving, that one's an easy task and a joy! I'm sorry I live on the far side of Tennessee. If I were in Nashville, I would come help her! I can shell a mean crab!

Crab legs are one of my favorites but I haven't had any for a while. Your post sparked a few memories & now I've got to go get some. I'm pretty sure that I've still got enough strength left in my hands to crack them for a few hours straight. I'd better get the wife & kids out soon and teach them the fine art of cracking the legs before it's too late. Thanks for the idea.

lobster rolls mean no shells to crack for me.. even have trouble with chicken wings, too hard to hold onto them! Last time I stuck a big fork in it and held it like a skewer.

I know Helen - Last night at my Mom's BDay dinner - I lost control of my fork - it went flying across the table. No injuries except for side splitting laughter.

Sadly, I've never eaten crabs - allergic to shellfish & flat fish.

Gladly, I have eliminated all "crabby" folks from my little world. Be positive, or move on. New motto!

I feel lucky that I'm in a city where superb crabcakes are available. I also have a fabulous seafood shop and a darling husband is willing to shell shrimp for me make clamor clams oreganata and cut my steak.

Wow, I hadn't realized how much my diet has changed until you see others post their past favorite foods. Brings back good memories of foods I really enjoyed!

Ledo's pizza. Lived in the neighbourhood across the street after uni. Precooked bacon and onion, once a week! It can't possibly have been as good as I remember it to be.

Kiwi, they're still there. Along with many more. My parents get pizzas from them. I don't care for pizza, so I opted for their subs. When I would visit at Christmas time, that was dinner on Christmas Eve before church.

Boy, all this food talk has me hungry!

I never had a sub there in all that time! Do you know, do they still have that stone wall out front? On busy nights we used to queue......we used to wait in line on busy nights down the side walk in front of the wall, and some several climbers in the group would make use of the rocks. Do you remember how big the pizza were even if you didn't eat them? Massive, served on rectangular trays not round. Some people :rolleyes: used the trays to slide down the hill in the snow.
We got crabs here btw, I get a tin of Old Bay Seasoning sent over periodically. I got a lamb roast in the frig but I think it's pizza tonight boys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back