Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
MA
City
Winchester
I am in the process of ordering a power wheel chair and want to know if anyone has any advice or experience about what I should be looking for in seat cushioning to prevent bed sores, which as I understand it can be a problem when you are in a power wheel chair for long periods of time.

My neuro recommends the Roho Quadtro.

I have a gel cushion and I love it!

My husband got the Roho cushion for his PWC and HATED it. He loved his gel cushion.

Roho for me!

You can ask the company you are working with to bring both a ROHO and a gel style to try on a normal chair or something if you want to see how it feels first.
I have a ROHO and works well. Also a ROHO back cushion for my chair.

I use a jay2, which I believe is a hybrid gel/foam cushion. Rohos and other air based cushions have superior sore prevention as far as I know, but they make transfers more difficult. If I had my choice I think I'd switch to a stimulite hybrid, but I'd only use a full air cushion if I lost feeling.

The best way to pick a cusion is actually to go to a seating clinic evaluation. They can measure how you sit, where your pressure is, and make specialized recommendations.

I'm with Beky on the seating clinic. They measure you once, twice and a third to make sure. The doctor reccommended a sip 'n puff. But at the evaluation, they suggested the head array. (I still have good head control and thought a step ahead in case of breathing difficulties.) My chair is actually made from 4 different vendors. The seat is a JAY3. Also the back is custom because I have started with scoliosis.

Good luck to you, I hope your wheelchair process goes smoothly.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Will check out the RoHo, and see about checking out the different kinds at my clinic appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back