Diagnosis
03/2006
Country
Uni
State
NY
City
liverpool
I have a question I hope someone can answer. My husband Mark has ALS now for 8 years. He uses Bipap all night and sometimes during the day. Last clinic his PFT's went down. In one month they went from 34 to 25. His 02 levels are good. My question is how long before his 02 levels become effected? His left diaphram is no longer working and his left lung ic collapsed. His right lung is good. Last Dec he had a bad case of pneumonia and we almost ost him. He is not going to vent. Can anyone give some kind of info as what to expect?

Thanks Patti

HI Patti

Can his lung be re-inflated? Can he use the bipap 24/7? I think some have quite low 'tests' and do quite well for a long time on the bi-pap.

Why not the Vent? A little over a year ago I had complete respiratory failure and was put on a trac and a ventilator. After a month or so I was weined from the ventilator, now I sleep with the ventilator (like a baby) eight hours a night and I am off the ventilator during the day. My regular routine is to prepare myself for bed and my wife puts me on the ventilator by 10 o'clock. In the morning I wake, go through my routines and get off the ventilator about 10 o'clock, so I am on 12 hours and off 12 hours.

Being on the ventilator is a piece of cake as it allows easy breathing and a good nights sleep. Daytime activities are not hampered by the trac and should I get extremely tired, I can go get on this ventilator.

Don't Shun the ventilator, I believe the ventilator keeps me active and better rested to me today.

No the lung can not be inflated. Especially since the diaphragm has stopped working and has moved up to make the collapse of the lower lung. He doesn't want to vent..His choice. He already can't move. He doesn't want to live inside himself. When he is laying down he has a hard time breathing. When he is in his chair upright during the day he does better. After the homecare girl does nthe checst pt and cough assist he struggles to breathe. I get him on bipap right away.

HI Patti

He may do better sleeping elevated, then, and of course, the Bi-pap. Yes, venting is his choice to make. If his O2 sats are still good, try not to be overly concerned. The big risk is pneumonia.

If he has air hunger, morphine should help with that sensation.

Can his lung be re-inflated? Can he use the bipap 24/7? I think some have quite low 'tests' and do quite well for a long time on the bi-pap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back