01/2011
Country
AU
State
Queensland
City
Brisbane
Hi
I have been lurking around here now for a few months - I was diagnosed in January.
I live in Brisbane AUSTRALIA - great clinic here.

Thought it time i introduced myself the name is Mark and I am 56 and have the lower version in my right leg (are all these versions definitive?) so it moves which way next I dont know.

Anyway had my 15th fall yesterday and this time cracked the head open a bit - all a bit dramatic with lots of blood - ambulance men and extended carers all came round.

I've instructed the family not to give me anymore slippery wine! And my daughter has firmly told me that I am to strap myself in the newly acquired red racing PWC after 6PM.

These are all moments along this journey.

My heart goes out to those much younger than me who get this thing - happy to help where I can.:grin:

Welcome to the forum. Sorry u had to find it, though.

15th fall? I'd say it's past time to stop walking unaided!

Progression is different for everyone, I'm afraid. Normally, UMN and LMN are found before a diagnosis is given. Please ask any questions you have. Some great folks here. It's very nice of you to offer the support to others as well.

Take care

Welcome to the family Mark. So sorry you needed to find us. We are here for each other to help in anyway we can. This new journey we take together and are stronger for the togetherness and love shared. {{HUGS}}

P.S. Watch out for the PWC, can get kinda tricky, go really slow, I know from experience they can cause damage also.

Welcome to the forums, Mark! So glad you've found us. You'll find a lot of info in our archives and caring and compassionate friends.
15 falls? OUCH! Sounds like you need to be in that red racer well before 6PM. Many of us are reluctant to begin using adaptive equipment when it's clearly indicated that there is a need for it. If you have foot drop and that is the cause for your frequent falls you might ask about using AFOs and a walker in the house for a bit. Falls are so very dangerous and even deadly for people with mnd. Our bodies often just don't have what it takes to make a full recovery from a serious musculo-skeletal injury. Please take care.

Welcome to the forum. You will have great information and good friends available to you. We are all one big family with the same beast of a disease and all with varying symptoms and stages. Jamiem

Hi Mark, welcome to our forum family... sorry you had to find us here, but we are here for each other... I find using a scooter for everything has prevented most of all my falls, but I still have the occasional one transferring... so be careful. I also have a pwc but need to remove all the braided rugs in my house as it likes to eat them.

We've lost a few PALS to falls, not als so be careful. There's also been a few close calls where if a PALS wife and son weren't there he would have bled to death. So it's important to be careful.

Welcome Mark! When I started falling early in 2011 I used a cane. Then when I started falling with the cane I got AFOs (they eliminate foot drop while wearing them) and used the cane. Then gave up the cane for a walker and still used the AFOs. I just got my Power Wheelchair yesterday and will use that while outside. Still use the AFOs and walker in the house so far but will transition to the PWC full time when I need to. Anyway, do what ever you need to do to be safe. Welcome to our rag tag family! :)

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum and thanks for saying Hi. Please keep us posted as to how you're doing.

Welcome Mark! Please be careful, at least sit long after drinking the slippery wine. It can sneak up on you.

Welcome Mark. My youngest son loves your city. He studied at Queensland U for a semester abroad five years ago.

Thanks everybody - advice has been taken and shared with my CALS who are now starting to keep an eagle eye on me.

And thanks BeckyW for noing where i live!

Welcome Mark.....be safe!

Judy

Welcome Mark. No more falls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back