Diagnosis
01/2012
Country
US
State
west
City
mid
My speech is becoming very slurred and was wondering how 'the real world' reacts to pALS who speak with a device. Any tips? Do most pals take someone with them so they don't have to speak through a computer to clerks/the-general-public? Or have you found most people to be receptive and patient if you go out on your own?

Take a cell phone even if it doesn't have service but does have a sims card type out your message and show them. It's easier if the phone has a key board but you can use any phone

You can download a app called speak it to your cell phone. You type the words and it speaks for you.

Speak it is wonderful...I have this on my ipad and my friend has this on her phone!

Judy

not as portable as cell phones, but all windows platform pc's have a text to talk program built into it.

In general I find most people are accepting and understanding. It pays to be prepared. Have a phrase pre-written. "Hi, my name is mich5, I have lost the use of my voice and use this device (phone or computer) to communicate". It often helps to follow up with the fact that you can hear perfectly well. That sets the expectation and gets you off to a good start. When dealing with people "in the real world" it pays to pick you timing. Attempting to do carry out your business at a very busy time of day is not the best plan. Go when shops and offices are more quite will make things go smoother. Once you get out there and give it a go I think you will find it's not as difficult as you might imagine. Oddly enough doc tors seem to be the hardest to initially break the ice with. I think it has to do with the need to get physically close (sitting side by side is optimum) to you to facilitate the use of the device. It goes against their grain on several levels but most come around pretty quickly once they see how well you can communicate if they cooperate just a little. Good luck with your efforts.

It was also suggested at one time here on the forum to preprint business cards with the info, so police won't think you're drunk either. I know I always keep a business card of my neuro in my wallet just in case...

I bring my wife everywhere with me. (don't know if that's good or bad). She speaks my "drunkinese" and interprets.

Perfecting the language of smile and nod, thumbs up and middle finger is working.

Seriously, having cell phone helps when needed.

I feel your pain Mich, and it sucks.

Hang in there bud.

Casey

Thanks, Casey (and All) - losing my voice will be TOUGH. My spouse still works, so either I have to make it work or be housebound during the day. Don't think I'm quite ready for that yet . . . I'll look into Speak it and, yes, I have a cell phone. I'm working on Mo del Tal ker now to create a synthesized voice.

I recorded my voice on Modle Talker but don't use it. I prefer to write on my pad while can. Most people are patient with me waiting for my response. I use verbally a a free text to speech. It has words and phrases I can tap to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back