Diagnosis
7/2008
Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
... I know the subject title will immediately draw all men on the forum to read this lol. Can't be helped.

A member had recently messaged me with a question regarding how women PALS tackle some issues unique to our gender. At the time I had no time to really search, and could not find this thread from years earlier. Today I was able to locate it. It covers several subjects, and is quite good.
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/gen...s-mnd/2802-women-motor-neuron-diseases-5.html

One of the recurring topics is the bidet seat. I myself have very limited limb involvement, and yet I can't stress enough how great having a bidet seat is. I don't think a person could get one too soon. In fact, I think ALL people— weak or strong— dexterous or immobile—male or female, would benefit from this addition to their bathroom.

Please feel free to continue to add to this thread and keep it active.

Rose, I'm right there with you! We got the bidet seat too late for Terry to really benefit from it, but I adore it!

Missy, isn't that the truth!

I wanted to add that I'm not sure how the link I added will be viewed by others. I have my settings for the forum set so that the newest post is shown first, and I don't know if that messes up the way the old link is viewed by others. So—FYI— if you click on it and you're not on page one, its showing up backwards and you'll need to click on the last page and work your way forward...

I ordered a bidet from the VA and waiting for it to be delivered! Need to buy 2 more from the warehouse store for the other bathrooms...can't wait!

Jen

I just told my husband to get one for both bathrooms.

I was in the middle east last year and we american women need to learn about bidets! So happy to have one now! It should be one of the first things women with AlS get if they are still ....... trying to be delicate for the men.

Thanks for posting this Rose. Okay, question here . . . . is the bidet always separate from the toilet (so a transfer from one to the other would have to take place) or can a bidet be 'in' the toilet? Forgive me, but I'm confused and don't want to start messaging people. Surely I can't be the only here who is confused . . . :0) Can I? :0)

Mich it's an all- in-one. You can even find a bidet seat that can fit on an existing toilet. Some even purchase portable ones for use while traveling. A quick search of the n e t will provide you photos and a variety of options that are available .

Mich,

That is a good question (as far as being helpful for others who read this)

The USA Today newspaper just had an article last week in their financial section about the growing trend for these types of additions to home bathrooms. And, this wasn't bathrooms for the handicapped, just bathrooms in general.

What we're talking about here is a bidet "seat" that fits on top of an existing toilet. That is one of the things that makes it so great 8)

One thing you need to make certain of is that the seat you buy is compatible with your toilet. If you do a search on the forum, I did post pictures about a year ago when we installed ours here.

The manufacturer you choose should list toilets that will work with their seat. In our case, we ran into difficulties because the toilet we had, had this raised lip on the outside back of it, and it kept it from working with any brand of bidet seat. If you go to my profile page, and look for the photo album titled "accessible bathroom" you can see the toilet we had, the one that didn't work with the Toto (the brand I chose to go with) So, we replaced the entire thing, we bought a Toto toilet, and a Toto "Washlet" . I chose a toilet that is higher than most, but, another way to get your existing toilet higher, if it will work with a bidet seat (and most will) is to have a riser installed under it to raise it up a few more inches to make easier to get on/off of. I believe there are member photo albums that show a toilet on risers. It seems like MTPockets (capt Al) had a riser under his, and probably JoelC. I think their albums might also show lift mechanisms installed, I can't remember for sure right now.

Another really nice feature, other than the washing part of bidet seats is that they are very sturdy (at least mine is) they don't shift around when sitting onto, or standing (or being lifted) from.

There have been several discussion even comparing features of various bidet seats as well as the different brands. I am extremely happy with the Toto, we mounted the remote control on the wall next to the toilet, but, if need be, down the road it can be taken off of the wall, and used even by someone else outside of the room in place of me operating it.

I hope this helps, do a search using key words such as bidet seat, Toto, washlet, etc.

Here's a link to the album showing my bathroom pre-bidet seat. That toilet did not work with a bidet seat due to how it has that ridge raised up at the back side between the seat and the tank.
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/mem...room-use-bathroom-main-floor-picture1475.html

—For those who are trying to view the bathroom remodel album—Due to my forum privacy settings, this album can't be viewed in its entirety unless you are on my contacts/friends list, but one photo does show up, and the toilet we had to replace is visible in it....

Okay... found some other member photos, Here is Capt Al's, and he did have the riser under his toilet to bring it up higher.
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/mem...t-equipment-albums115-shower2-picture798.html

Last edited:
Toilevator is the name of the riser which installs on any toilet. And Joel pointed out to me back when I was asking questions to get an elongated toilet and bidet seat. That was excellent advice! Can't imagine the normal size working near as well.

Thanks Brian, and you're right, the elongated seat matters too.

...the remote control ... can be taken off of the wall, and used even by someone else outside of the room...

That gives a great idea for a practical joke. Haha, thanks, Diane!

-Tom

Tom, you're incorrigible!:twisted: Just remember, "payback is a M#!%^& F#%*^@"
Somebody is bound to return the favor!

Great thread here! thanks for startin.
here's a link i found last fall shotyly after my diagnosis and i don't remember where i found it. hope you find it useful too.
The Vain Girls Guide to ALS

This is my nightmare. I'm having so much trouble in this area right now. I wish I had a bidet! Higher toilet seats are good, too....transfers are easier the higher someone is, I know from experience. As legs weaken, it's harder to get up from low toilet seats. (male or female)

They need to make a bidet for bedside commodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back