Diagnosis
12/2006
Country
US
State
CA
City
Yucca Valley
I am a bulbarian with recent loss of hearing. My hospice nurse is wondering if it might be ALS related. Has anyone incurred this?

Judith,

You're Sweet Ann's dear friend. Have you had any changes in medication, Bi-Pap or any other thing (even if its slight)? Have you changed position of the bed?

Is it a total loss of hearing or diminished hearing? There are a LOT of conditions that can cause a sudden hearing loss--among them is meningitis.

I hate to be a broken record on the forum--but please be careful assuming all things are ALS related. It can be dangerous to do so. SHL can be a symptom of MS--but I don't believe it's supposed to happen in ALS.

My reading says that any sudden hearing loss should be treated as a medical emergency.

Sigh. Off to moderation--which could be a while since we have no moderators anymore.

Sudden hearing loss can be a medical emergency. Don't assume ALS related.

Thank you all,

I have not changed my daily routine or sleeping patterns. The hearing loss is not total, just diminished. It is like going to the mountains with higher elevation. My hospice nurse mentioned that it might be ALS related. I thought it wax build up, but took Debrox solution for 7 days…no help. I am trying to find a way to get to the doctor’s office.

So sorry Judy.
Any symptoms that would indicate a sinus or ear infection.

Please call your doctor and describe the sensation to him. Hope it abates.

Thank you tomby and notme. A hospice nurse practitioner will be out this coming week.

You might need to see an ENT if that's possible. Is it actual loss or other 'feelings' obscuring your hearing because they are louder than the outside noise?

I ask because a certain type of migraine can cause this sensation of loss that's really the blood flow in the head causing you to hear IT instead of outside--also LOW BP can cause it as well, I believe.

A NP came out yesterday and from my symptoms thought it an allergy. My ears are fine now, but I will take the meds.

Allergy season has been especially early and long this year because of the warm winter. I started using allergy meds in Jan. I'm glad to hear you found some relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back