Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
US
State
NY
City
Long Island
:shock:well, it was a group effort. he forgot to lock the controls. somehow it was set on max speed. the controls were on the arm that we lifted to make my transfer. john was lifting my legs and my son lifted my shoulders and hit the joystick. the chair did a wheelie across the room pinned him under the motor and agaist the wall. i was still in the chair. it took 2 people lift the chair. john is now in a cast.:shock::shock:

janet

OUCH!

I've run over about everyone in my family including the dog and cat with my scooter... which weighs far less than the wheelchair thankfully!

Is everyone ok now? :)

! I'm feeling very lucky that, when that happened to us, I jumped up into my husband's lap and was just pinned between him and the wall! I hope John recovers quickly!

he is in good spirits but alot of pain. we must be carefil wth the new toys.

I never did learn to keep my feet out of the way. How I never broke my foot is beyond me!

Wow! I'm glad everyone is 'ok', relatively speaking. I'm being fitted today for my pwc. Sounds like my miniature doxie better watch out! Take care!:lol:

Yikes! Those things are so heavy. Hope you all recover quickly!

Don't feel too bad, my husband ran over himself with a full size Ford van one time. These things happen. :roll: Ended up with it stopped on top of his leg (broken of course). I had to dive it off him. :roll:

Oh Janet!
I'm so sorry there was an injury involved! The drivers
aren't the only ones with a learning curve. My joystick is so sensitive which makes it easier for me to move which is great as my hand gets weaker but dangerous for transfers. I always switch the machine off after putting the control out of drive. Never use full rabbit in the house.
Hope he heals quickly!

I am happy that has never happen to me--but I am surprised it hasn't... My husband did chase me around on purpose one day when he was mad at me and threatened to run me over :) . They are dangerous toys indeed. Hope your husband recovers soon!

So sorry for your John, I hope he heals quickly. Where is the cast?....I always turn mine off when stopped. Have ran over son's and grandson's foot.
Not a pretty site.

I hope he recovers quickly! How's the wall? ;)

I can't tell you how many times I had to jump out of the way. Once I was jammed by the foot rests up against the wall and thereafter my shins reminded me to be quick on my feet.

First rule they made me swear to, always turn off when transferring and around little kids. My granddaughter goes straight for the joy stick when she gets in my lap. I even turn it off if someone is going to hug me. Have had a close call with some large, umm shall I say, female parts, as they brushed against the joy stick. The chairs, not mine. He, he ,he!
I hope everyone heals up fine!

mentioned this at my eval appt today and apparently the #1 rule for transfers (and hugs) is - turn it off. Nurse and OT both said they learned the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back