09/2011
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Podunk
So, I guess I should refresh your memory of my current situation:

I'm a music teacher at a primary school and have been pushing to make it through to the end of the year. Unfortunately, progression has just been so much faster than I (or anyone) had really expected. Things really came to a head when I spent four days really sick from trying to get on Nuedexta. I had heard when you take a hit from getting sick with anything, you just don't really bounce back well. No kidding.

So Wednesday, I met with my school administrators, and they so graciously set me up to eligible for the sick pool so that I could finish this week and officially retire. The sick pool coverage allows them to solicit donations of sick days to cover the last 5 weeks of the year so that I can remain on payroll and they can pay out the rest of my contract. I was floored... what an amazing gift!

This morning, a friend of mine decided to pass on this little news nugget to our local tv station. So the news crew surprised me at work with an interview! They even interviewed my mom, my principal, and filmed me teaching some of my lil darlins! Wow!

So while it's been a bit of a sad week, seeing my career as a music educator end, I now also see my new career as an ALS educator and advocate beginning. While I did talk a lot about awareness and research and finding a cure for ALS, all that stuff ended up on the cutting room floor. I started to get a bit upset, but then I stopped and told myself, "No. That's great. Because now I can hit them up for another interview and really start spreading the word!"

So here's a link to my first interview as a PALS... the first of many and the start of something new and wonderful!
http://www.ktre.com/story/17589061/lufkin-teachers-disease-has-her-leaving-a-void-in-the-classroom

~ Sarah

Wow! What a wonderful piece on a wonderful lady! You did very well too. I'm proud of you Sarah! :)

Sarah, what a great interview! It is apparent that you will be missed in the classroom - maybe you can pop in from time to time to touch bases with your co-workers and the kids. I am so sorry that ALS has forced you to retire from a job that you obviously enjoy, but wonderful to be recognized as a valuable asset to your community. I'll be thinking about you tomorrow.

Sarah, thank you for sharing your story. I can't imagine what a difficult place you're in right now. I trust that you will stay strong and hold on to family. It is really difficult when we have to leave our careers behind.
Linda

Thank you for sharing that with us and your community. Hang in there!

Hi Sarah, I am so moved my this too and wanted to thank you so much for your inspiration!
I believe that this will touch many people, sometimes you never know how many you help.
Brava!

You are a such a brave woman. I have no doubt you have been and will be an inspiration to all who meet you!

Thanks for sharing, Sarah.

Sarah, you were perfect! I truly admired the way you were so calm & at ease while being interviewed. You will make an excellent ALS spokesperson!
I had to stop driving (11 years) a school bus in February and was also trying to hang on till May to end the school year. Although my concern about continuing to work was a BIG safety issue I completely understand your sadness about leaving the kids when you were not ready to leave. I too believe EVERYTHING happens for a reason. Our GOD knows the reason :)
I am thrilled you are planning to make more people aware of ALS. Whenever anyone asks me what is "wrong", why are you using a cane, why do you walk like that, etc. I either see the light bulb go on when I say ALS or I see the "what?" look people give me.
I hope you will become a Texas Tornado with ALS awareness! :)

Thanks Sarah for sharing your story...what a strong lady your are!

Judy

Great interview Sarah. I hope you will find other adventures on which to embark in your retirement. You're already on the right track! Take care. Yasmin.

But what a great interview. You did a really good job. Happy early birthday!

Way to be strong! I am so happy your co workers/friends did that for you.......I know what you mean about being upset about what they cut. The walk to defeat ALS commercial in my opinion in no way represents the reality and aspects of als, they make it look sweet. They should have the head and shoulders commercial made in Canada...then people would rally for research a lot more.

Great interview. It's so true that it's a family disease. I worked at a school too and miss it everyday.

You're an excellent spokesperson for the cause! Great interview.

-Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back