Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
UK
State
Somerset
City
Yeovil
For those with Trache. Each month when the whole trache has to be changed, do you have to go to a hospital clinic, have someone come to your home or have it changed by a spouse/caregiver?
Joelc told me that he had his done at home rather than the haul to clinic each month. I am trying to make arrangements for my husband to have it done at home or to receive the appropriate training to do it myself but its not easy to get this sorted.

Apparently it is fine for me to change it in an emergency situation but not "appropriate" for me to do it as routine.

Rachel, I can see going in a few times for training and supervision of the task, but surely you'll be able to do it on your own.

I've been changing my mom's for a couple of years now. I got trained when she had homecare nursing and there was a nurse to watch me change it for the first few times I changed it but now I do it on my own with the help of my husband. I actually think I'd be more nervous watching someone else change it for her than doing it myself.

Thanks.

The trache site is well established (nearly 2 years). I am fully confident that I can do it. However funding people have now decided they are happy to fund for someone to come and do it privately so I think thats the route we will take. Once we get into a monthly routine, I will straight out ask to do it whilst they attend.

Although it was not advised, I changed my late husband's Kevin trach and did so with full preparation and sterile conditions. We also had a pulmonary doc come in but he was harsh! that's when I decided to do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back